Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to sell a bike - QLD?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by stepandy, Oct 22, 2008.

  1. I decided to upgrade and to put my existing one up for sale via the paper.
    Since this is my first one, I have no idea what is required in terms of paperwork to sell a bike privately.
    I know, that with cars, there is a requirement for roadworthy certificate. Does the same thing applies to bikes?
    My insurance policy specifically excludes coverage when bike is demonstrated for sale purposes. What shall I do if a prospective buyer requests a test ride?

    Thanks for any advice.
  2. you still need the roadworthy mate. just like a car. and if you aren't comfortable with just taking their keys/wallet, then before they turn up, ask for them to bring your insurance excess as a deposit if things turn bad
  3. Taking the amount of excess won't help him much, as his policy will void if someone else takes it for a ride. I'm getting set to sell mine soon, I'll just make it clear that if he bins it, he has to buy it for the asking price, and follow him on my bike I guess - what else can you do? You're not entitled to their car or wallet if they decide to skip off without paying...
  4. My insurance insures only me and a qualified mechanic (I think most are like that). Last bike I bought, the owner did not let me ride it, so had it taken to a mechanic I know who did an inspection on it and took it for a ride. Probably the safest option to go with. I guess if the buyer is keen, get him to put a cover note on it before he rides it and let him know if he comes off, its his. At least that way if he comes off, he is also covered.

    You also need yourself and the buyer to fill in the form below to transfer rego. The buyer must then pay the transfer fee.

  5. Thank you for the advice.

    FYI, was charged $45 for roadworthy certificate which can be obtained from motorcycle service centers.