Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to ride in the wind?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tarsh, May 24, 2007.

1. Hi guys

anyone who rode tonight will know that the winds were very heavy. i have a gpx250 which only weighs 140kg.

how am I supposed to ride to minimise being thrown around by wind.

at some stages of my ride i literally felt the bike swinging underneath me and i thought i was gonna hit the car in the next lane (this happened on the open part of wellington road where they're doin the eastlink work).

1) do you lean forward or do you put your weight onto rear wheel?

2) do you go faster or slower?

3) do you lean into the wind or just relax and take it as it comes?

in the future i am not going to ride in the wind but incase i get caught out i want to know how to properly and safely ride.

thanks guys

2. wasn't that windy here :LOL: Australia is a pretty big place and we don't all live in the one spot :p

If it's a constant wind, i'll lean into it with my body a bit, generally doesn't take much. If it is gusting, from one side, or multiple sides, i just relax, stay in the centre of my lane and lean as necessary to counteract the wind.
  3. Hey tarsh
    My partner rides a gpx and with her weight (50 kg) she gets blown around alot
    I will suggest dont ride in the wind but that will not help
    So when riding in the wind angle you bike in the direction of the wind
    Be ready for wind die off (thats when the wind stops and you go towards the place you are pointing mainly the wrong way)
    Main thing is to ride with caution and sorry only with more practice will you feel like your in control
    I know i've been riding for 36 years and i still hate the wind :mad:
  4. Yeah i've been copping heaps of this on the ANZAC bridge lately, my RS125 only weighs 120kg(dry) so it gets blown around a lot.

I find what works for me really well is to relax my elbows and kind of lean forward towards the shield and throttle on a little bit. just my technique, works good.
  5. Hey Tarsh

good to see you out and about !!

it was bloody windy
    and you being a smaller frame than me on the good ol GPX I most likely weigh mine down more :p :LOL:

but seriously when I first started riding down here in windy Melbourne I shit myself thinking the bike was going to blow out from under me
    but I have just gotten used to it I think

dont put so much grip and weight on your handlebars and let your weight distribute more of your weight around your bottom half.
    But most of all keep practicing!! the more your out there and the more km's you build up the more confident you will feel in these situations

6. Grip tank, lose arms, relax rest of body. Duck down if necessary, but stay relaxed.
  7. +1

Minimise your surface area by tucking in and relax your grip on the handle bars.
  8. Me too

I was so thinking of posting this same thing today. Bloody hell, the last couple of days on the freeways, Bolte bridge were a shocker. I actually left the freeway cause I was so scared at one point. I'm on my Ls, but nothing so far - rain/dark has worried me as much as the wind.

Am I being a bit melodramatic - would it be possible to actually be blown over / off? Has it ever happened to anyone? I'm sure it depends on the wind strength. Obviously hurricane force yes, but these 'ordinary' Melbourne autumn type winds, is it really just a matter of getting used to them or do they pose an actual risk.
    I was riding along telling myself 'don't be silly, I won't actually be knocked over".... was I kidding myself?
  9. dont do anything, ahve faith in the bike just relax and let the bike do its own thing, the bike will correct its self as long as your not tense, you will feel the bie automatically tip into the wind then when it eases off will get upright again, never under any circumstance fight the wind, this is when you find yourself on the wrong side of the road, just let the bike move under you, by tucking down you will increase the surface mass of the bike, giving the wind more area to hit to blow you around more

just relax dont think about it just ride the bike, dont try angle the bike let it move itself, you will find it much easier, not battling with it
  10. Get a bigger bike :LOL: :p ................................................... :roll: sorry
  11. As others have said, grip firmly with your legs and relax your grip on the bars. You will tend to move 'with' the wind instead of fighting it.

I actually don't know if anyone has been blown off their bike before...very, very remote chance I would say.

Keep practicing, it won't heaps easier, but you will just learn to relax in it
  12. That's the one.. :)
    Lean into the wind and relax your arms - take it as it comes...

Allow the bike move around under you, and use your countersteering to make the corrections to prevent you from being blown across lanes etc.
    After a while you will get used to it, and it will be nothing at all to you, because you will be experienced at handling it.

Seriously...do NOT be put off riding in the wind - there is always some kind of wind - it's just another aspect of riding that you should embrace and learn to handle. Even the 230Kgs of my Blackbird gets pushed around by the wind.

I ride the Monash everyday, so I know exactly what you were experiencing yesterday...
  13. Great advice !
  14. Be careful of ducking down, yes it means you present less of a profile to the wind, but it also means you have less leverage on the bike to control it.
    But the rest of teh advice is very good.
  15. Going faster will actually help move the apparent wind direction towards the front of your bike, but you will also travel further in less time, when you’re blown off course. So it’s really a judgement call here.

Try and point or push your shoulder into the wind, as if you were pointing with it. Just like when you steer your bike. That is essentially what you’re doing. The wind is pushing you away and you steer the bike back into it. Gripping the tank with your knees is good, but I have also found that the knee on the windy side can help get your weight towards the wind. If you get a very strong gust, you may need your knee to point into it, as well as your upper body.

The gusts seem to be the biggest problem because if it was constant, you’d just lean and be done with it. Perfect balance! Gust will come and go and you’ll need to lean into it and then not at all. So being relaxed will help your body absorb those forces of the wind.

Pooh out! :)
  16. Hi Tarsh ,

For some reason i get pulled to the left with very strong wind , on my FZR250 . Not to sure what is the reason , but never the less i learn how to ride in those conditions . My advice slow down or hide behind a big car :LOL: :LOL:

Safe riding mate .
  17. you think you have problems on your gpx? try riding across the anzac bridge on a windy night on a bike that weighs 95kg dry :(

still, its not too hard, i find it easy to just stay relaxed and try to correct for whereve the bikes trying to take me
  18. I read somewhere once that that extending your leg/knee as if you were cornering towards the way the wind is coming from helps keep you stable. I guess the theory here is that you are shifting your weight into the wind and in reality cornering slightly into the wind. Not something I've bothered with but can't hurt to try I guess!
  19. First couple of times riding in strong wind were quite scary, but I don't notice it anymore. I ride a rather heavy bike, but it's naked and has no wind protection at all.

Make sure your helmet and jacket fit properly too, otherwise they'll blow you around.