Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to remove throttle slack?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Dzyan, May 17, 2013.

1. Hi all

I've just replaced the motor in my postie to a 125, and with it went the carb. It came with a new throttle cable and now I have a bit of slack in the throttle, even after adjusting to the full extent.

How do I go about fixing this? Do I just buy a new throttle assembly? I'm a bit wary because the old assembly fits inside the whole setup that includes killswitch and brake handle. If I get something that doesn't fit I'll need to replace the whole lot and I'm trying to avoid that.

Can I just get the cable shortened by a cm or two or should I look at spacers for where the cable screws into the handle?

Thanks all

2. Is the cable adjustable at the carby end ?
  3. There may be an adjustment somewhere else along the cable, either in the way of a thumbscrew or a small nut that you back off and adjust as necessary, then re-tighten the nut.

Failing that, there should be some adjustment at the carby where the cable is mounted. just be sure the slack is enough to allow the bike to stay at idle when the handle bars are turned from lock to lock.

Good luck, hope this helps.
  4. thanks mate

I checked that stuff out before, there is only the one adjustment point, which is at the lever. There is about 1/8 or so slop before the throttle picks up. I can manage as is, and the blokes at the shop said it wouldn't affect roadworthy but I want it to be as responsive as it was before the change.
  5. If the old cable fits the new carby, could you keep using the old one.
  6. #6 mike8863, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. thanks for that guys. I'm going to try a spacer, and look into new controls and levers. I've wanted a push to cancel indicator for a while so I can remove the buzzer reminder. Only reason I haven't is the hand controls, levers and throttle assembly are all one piece. I'm going to start looking at some new bits and pieces for a full overhaul of the hand controls, now that I've done the bit that makes it go.
  8. You should be able to deliver the mail in record time once you get it all sorted.