Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to remove axle from front wheel ('88 VT250F 'J')

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Captain115, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

So I am in the process of rebuilding an 1988 Honda VT250F (see here: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=130035#.T5YVI9UrJBk).

I've decided to take the front wheel off to check the wheel bearings, and that went fine, except I cant seem to remove the axle. In the manual I have (which is for a 1988 VTR250, that has inboard discs) it says to remove a bolt from one end of the axle? However I had a look and the axle doesnt appear to just have a bolt at the end.

Check out the attached photos (left side, then ride side) , it might be more clear. Anyway, how do I take it out?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Attached Files:

3. Cheers for that, I didn't realize that was how it went together.
    Annoyingly I still cant get it apart; tried dual multigrips and soaking it in RP-7 and WD-40 but still no luck.

Oh well, at least I know I'm going at it the right way now.

Thanks again,

4. Are you unscrewing in the correct direction...??
  5. Turn the axle in the wheel, if it feels rough or notchy the bearings are shot. if it feels nice and smooth with no grabbiing, theyre probably OK..
  6. Tried heating part #14 with a hot air gun??
  7. Hmmm, well still no luck but it did occur to me that:

a) the bearings feel ok, I was just going to replace them as I went but not necessary (maybe...?)

b) since there is no actual bolt head sort of thing, I wouldnt be sure how to torque it back together, seeing as none of the socket fit on it. Also, since the manual was for a different axle bolt, I'm not sure if the torque values would be the same?

Or maybe I'm just trying to talk myself out of this defeat.

Don't have a heat gun, would the housemate's hairdryer work? I'll give that a go after I think over the above two points. Thanks for the suggestion though.

8. Heat Gun...$20 in Bunny's (ozito brand) and it came as a kit with attachments, even had an attachment for plastic welding...bonus. Won't last for ever, but for the money.....

Axle assembly doesn't need to be overly tight as both sides are clamped to the forks. I smear a little copper grease to these 2 parts before assembly. ( solves the dilemma you currently have )
  9. True, well in that case I might need to invest i one. Going near a Bunnings today as the bikeshops and close by and my housemate wants to try on helmets, so I'll have a look as I go past.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll keep you posted.