Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to practice rear wheel slides?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by philmydang, Apr 15, 2013.

1. It's getting wet again, and I find that when I corner sometimes the back breaks traction and scares the shite out of me.

Now I've read the theory which all makes sense - continue with the same amount of throttle, or gently accelerate, point the front end in the direction of the slide and let the bike correct itself (if this is wrong please correct me!) It's easier said than done and I still find myself fighting the urge to chop the throttle.

As I'm not too keen on practicing this technique on my current bike, what are your suggestions? Buy a cheap bike? Take a training course? Practice on dirt? Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. I reckon dirt on a low powered bike is the 'safest'. Def wouldn't try it on the road
  3. Buy a dirt bike and kick it out in the dirt. Cheaper to fix and easier to kick the rear out to get a feel for what happens. Once you get the hang of that, why not get a motard and enter a corner drifting.

How about entering every corner like it's a drifting corner? That way you're already in the state of mind that you will be losing traction, so that when it does kick out, you will drift it out acting all cool like you meant it?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. what worked for me was years of mountain biking. and many more years of general forking around, like locking the rear and doing a 180 to stop.

i have had the rear end come out on me numerous times on the motorbike, including one that i had never ridden before and have stayed rubber side down. barely even got the heard going... it was all automatic recovery due to the years before hand forking around.

cheapest... and possibly less painfull, go mountain biking
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I was considering this but thought I might get flamed for my stupidity. I'm off to practice rear wheel slides on the bicycle in my basement!
  6. Yeah, dirt bike experience definitely helped me. Getting an old dunger is probably better for this purpose: a super schmick new motocross bike is going to make it all happen much faster and hurt more when you (inevitably) throw it away. Something old and cheap will still kick the rear out under power on dirt and help build the reflexes. Key difference: don't get in the habit of dragging the inside foot when cornering on the road!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ^hahahaha energetic lil bugger isn't he!
  9. if you can stay on the pedals after a 50m sideways rear lockup, you should be able to handle most things... and it looks awesome... sliiiiiiiiiiide stop still balancing and just casually put your foot down
  10. How big do you think his basement is??!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. well i was just under the impression he was living above an aircraft hanger :D
  12. I'm still trying to figure out how to pick up enough speed for a 50m slide
  13. Truck and trailer i reckon - bit like the big wave surfers and a jet ski. Doddle, you should have it down to a fine art by tea time.
  14. i was going down a nice long hill, fairly slight gradient but got upto about 75k/h
    had friends about 100m behind and coming upto a gate across the road.
    i couldhave stopped normally, but where;s the fun in that?
    hit the rear brakes and flicked it out, did a 180 and came to rest on the pedals facing my mates. casually put foot down

you shouldhave seen their faces... and the skid mark
  15. HART in NSW certainly used to do dirt bike riding courses, and you could rent one of their wee dirt bikes.

That type of course gets you reasonably comfortable with back, and front end slides and is well worth the money.

Maybe they do something similar in Victoria?
  16. try using the front brake.
  17. I'd agree with a cheap trail bike and kicking it around in the dirt. When the back slides in dirt it feels some how natural. Well it does for me since that was my entire goal as a kid, make the back slide.
    Could be worth trying as it gives you the confidence of knowing that feeling well when it loses traction and knowing it's not a massive deal if dealt with properly.
  18. it's your bike.
    i don't envy you through roundabouts on that thing in the wet.
    but your theory is correct.
  19. +1 for dirt bike experience. I use to race MX and supercross and sliding was part-and-parcel to the best line/speed through certain turns (squaring off particular corners). Came in handy when I was chopped off by a U-turning taxi in the city on a damp downhill road.
    • Like Like x 1