Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to play AVI files

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Dazza, Sep 27, 2005.

1. need to know how I can play AVI. file extention files. What program can i get from the net to use. Does anyone have any links to free ones, as I don't wish to pay for it. I can only find pay ones on google.

Oh I use Creative Media if that helps

Cheers 8)
  2. Windows Media player plays avis, doesn't it?
  3. Dazza, why I should help out a Maffra supporter I will never know. *sigh* :oops:

But never mind, we all have our problems. 8)

MS Media Player plays that type of video file. IF you have it ticked.

Assuming you are running XP.

Start-All Programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Windows Media Player-Tools-Options-File Types.

Tick all the types of files you want the player to be able to open. I have them all ticked.
    You may have to restart the computer, not sure about that.

Good luck with it. :wink:

Oh and also next year. :LOL: :LOL:
  4. do a search for the k-lite codec pack

its a good one for those problem movies that wont play
  5. source is on the money here.

Download the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack from here:

That will let you play pretty much any video file you can find (including Real, Quicktime, etc). Also includes a good little 'Media Player Classic', which is a nifty little media player that can replace all your other players.

Highly recommended.
  6. If you are like me and at work where the system admins do not allow you to install programs or even codecs you can download mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html - you need to download the player and the codec pack).

You can unzip this and run it on a computer that you don't have admin access to. Or you can run it from a memory stick if you prefer.

The only problem with the windows version is that it is DOS based (so you need to go to the mplayer directory, and type mplayer C:\directory\movietitle.avi )