Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to oil the chains?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Sweeris, Apr 6, 2007.

1. I have just got my cbr250rr for a week and after riding it and getting used to it I am starting to be concerned about maintaining it. So how do I oil the chain and what do I use?

I am also wondering what engine oil do people use?

2. Easiest way to lubricate the chain is to go to a motorbike store, and pick up some o-ring safe chain lube in a can. Spray it onto the inside of the chain, i.e. the side that hits the sprockets, and you're laughing. Bonus points for rubbing the excess off with a rag (reduces fling), and double bonus points for doing it after a ride so the chain is nice and warm (helps the lube stay on).

Engine oil, some form of semi-synthetic is what most people I know with cbr250rr's use, of about 10W40... There are lots of threads on motorcycle oil vs. not, the safe option is to get motorcycle oil from a motorbike shop, but basically it comes down to the fact your cbr250rr has a clutch that runs inside the oil, and some oils will make it slip. Motorcycle ones shouldn't, and most car oils don't either, but that's not an argument for today.
  3. Just follow what Owner's manual says and you'll be allright.
    For chains SAE 80 or 90 gear oil:

For engine and clutch Honda 4 Stroke Motorcycle oil:

4. Go get yourself a can of Bel-Ray chain lube, good stuff even if it does leave your chain bright white. No flingoff, goes on very easy without mess and used by most of the mechanics I've talked too.
  5. I bought myself a can of Castrol chain oil - however I will be getting myself something better. Castrol has never been my favorite type of oil, but that's all they had at the shop and I desperately needed something.
  6. Or you could buy a Scottoiler, extend the life of your chain and never have to worry about 'remembering' to lube it again (just keep the reservoir topped up)...
  7. Then there will be two follow-up posts:
    1. How do I fit my scottoiler?
    2. How do I keep my rear wheel clean :).
  8. Get yourself a race stand.
    Chain lube from a bike shop.
    Ride the bike and get the chain warm
    Clean the chain with Kero
    Apply new lube
    Resist the urge to put heaps on
    Ride again
    Clean ecess of wheel.
  9. Either read the instructions that come with it, or ask a friendly friend, or pay a mechanic.
    The money you save in not having to replace your chain nearly so often will easily pay the costs for a mechanic dude to fit it.
    How do you keep it clean normally? (Unless you have a shaft drive, you don't.)
    It's a damn sight easier to clean the oil you use with a scottoiler/ other automatic chain luber, than the greasy, waxy, sticky goo that you get from the spray cans. Soap and water does the trick.
  10. I have no problem fitting it. I was just saying that suggesting a Scottoiler for a newly minted rider perhaps isn't the best idea.
    How do I keep the rear wheel clean? There's a hell of a lot less fling from not using a scottoiler, if you apply normal chain lube properly, i.e. rub off excess and do it warm. I find my motorbike cleaner I use over the rest of the bike has no problem, and I have to do it less than those I know who do have a Scottoiler.
  11. Sounds like the crazy talk of somebody who has never used an automatic chain luber to me. :LOL:

But meh, whatever, this isn't the place for argument. You obviously have problems with these systems, it's just a shame that you cannot acknowledge the benefits and advise against using something that will save money for anyone that uses one. :grin:

Sweeris, don't listen to us, we're just mad argumentative old fools. How're you getting on with the CBR?
  12. Hi, I'm trying to learn to maintain my Kawasaki ZZR 1993 250 as much as I can on my own, ( no male around as such) so,would like some advise re the oiling of the chain. Bought spray on oil,,this,says to clean it first???? It also says oil it every 300 ?
    Also I bought the tyre pressure caps that let,you know,when u need air, they turn red when air needed, has anyone had experience with their reliability ?
    Any advise would b appreciated.
    Cheers Heather
  13. How often you lube the chain depends upon the conditions that you ride in. As a general rule, under dry conditions, every 500-1000 km is sufficient. If you ride in dusty or wet conditions, you will need to do it more often. I would also do it every time you wash your bike. I only clean the chain every 1000 km, but doing it more often wouldn't hurt. To lube the chain, spray on the inside links. Make sure you don't get any on the rear tyre as it will make it as slippery as ice. Process is simple if you have a centre stand, otherwise you will need to move the bike to access all of the chain. There are heaps of YouTube videos showing you how to do this.
  14. Hi Heather,
    I've heard good/bad things about the tyre pressure caps. I just check my tyre pressure once every 4 days or so, and if it fluctuates a lot, then I check and fill more frequently.

Also, here's a link to some basics you may find useful.
  15. put a bit of cardboard between chain and rear wheel, stops any overspray :)
    on the ZZR, you could spray lube every second tank of fuel (around 300k's per tank)

easy chain cleaning can be done with toothbrush, low odor kerosene (bunnings), and a take away container.. and cardboard between chain and wheel :)

with the caps, it depends what pressure they turn red at?
    a tyre pressure gauge (stick type or a cheap digital one) will probably help more. don't rely on petrol station gauges.. they are often wrong :)
    stock pressure is 28psi front and 30psi rear iirc.
  16. If you're feeling ahem 'keen' you can oil the chain really easily by using the center stand, starting the bike and using a tiny bit of clutch slip while spraying. Some say this method is terrible dangerous mischief, I on the other hand like the peace of mind I've covered the whole chain.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  17. Dumb as f ck method that one. Google images of people losing fingers doing exactly that.

How hard is it to spin a rear wheel by hand.
  18. +1

Bike on stand in neutral, lay down a rag under the chain, left hand aims the can so that any spray that misses the chain hits the rag and not some other part of the bike, right hand spins the tyre. Done in 20 seconds.
  19. Not sure I made it clear, cleaning a moving chain is indeed the height of poor judgment. Spraying it from several inches away though well i'm not the first and certainly won't be the last. @Bjpitt@Bjpitt hard enough for me to be an adult and make my own choices.
  20. You are of course free to make your own choices, but consider carefully the implications before suggesting something that is unnecessarily dangerous to a new rider.

There are some good suggestions so far, with the exception of doing anything near the chain with the motor running. Don't do that. Seriously.
    A light spray with chain lube every second tank of fuel and after every ride in the rain is a decent guide for most people most of the time. If you ride hard, lube every tank. If you're going to let the bike sit for a few weeks or longer, lube the chain. The lube also protects the chain from corrosion.
    As for what product to use, there's dozens. Just find one that's compatible with o/x/z-rings.
    Also, lube the chain while it's still warm after a ride. It helps the lube stick better as well as getting it into the nooks and crannies.
    As for cleaning, be gentle. You can damage the o-rings with hard scrubbing. I prefer to just wipe grime off with a rage.
    • Like Like x 1