Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to measure idle speed?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by CamKawa, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Reading the Suzuki GSXR-1000 K6 manual it says the engine idle speed should be 1150 +- 100 r/min. Can anyone tell me how me how to measure it down to within 100 rpm? Do I need a special motorcycle specific tool?

2. It is just done by eay and sighting the tach s touch above 1000RPM

If you hook up a timing light with RPM readout you could be more precise.

3. just got for a ride to warm the bike up and when you get back lt the bike idle for a bit, make sure it is keeping consistently just above 1000

4. Does it really need to be that precise? :?

Setting it based on your tacho oughta be good enough.

I run the 9R up around 1800-2000RPM to help with the down shifts.... every time I get it serviced though, it comes back at whatever the manual suggests. Meh!

5. yes it needs to be precise to within those tolerances for testing purposes. At that certain rev range, there is a certain load (retard / advance of ignition timing) that will comply with the testing parameters. For idle speed, it is recomended rev range to minimise risk of overheating and wear and tear. Rev too low and oil pressure will decrease, rev too high and oil will get too hot.
    Tachos are generally very reliable for checking engine speed, but if want to get tacho checked or calibrated, take it to a bike tuner.

6. Who will 9 times out of ten use the bikes own tacho to set the revs :roll:

The old cable tacho's could be out a fare bit but the more modern electric ones are pretty spot on. You'll find that most manuals give a + and - for the idle revs anyway.

7. VTRBob
    Any reputable motorcycle mechanic / tuner would have the relevant equipment for measuring engine speed independent of the bike's own tacho. This may be a dyno for example, with the leads connected to the bike for accurate engine speed measurement. :roll:

8. Yes they might have the right tools but do they use them every time ?

They will do a dyno test / tune if you want to pay the extra and they have one, as I said 9 times out of ten the bikes tacho is close enough for anything other than a complete tune, when timing / mixtures etc are all checked via the relevant equipment.

9. Some timing lights have digital tacho on them...

10. My multimeter has engine features - tacho, dwell etc as well as the usual volts/amps/ohms