Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to learn to ride: My approach

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jekyll, Jul 19, 2007.

1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/R2FKN90Y1R/?tag=netrider-20

This is an amazon booklist with instructions. I'll paste the relevant text:

This is how I've learned to ride. I've made pretty rapid progress - when I did the advanced riding course 4 months into my riding career, the instructors were pretty surprised at how new I was to riding.

I've still got a lot to learn, of course, and consistency can only come with time, but I can't think of a way I could have learned more quickly or efficiently than this (at least, without spending a lot more on training).

Oh, and one word of helpful advice: put your ego aside for a little bit, buy one of those yellow safety jackets with reflective tape and wear it religiously for the first few months. I still wear mine every time I go through city peak hour traffic, and I'm sure it helps people not kill me every day.

2. Sounds great David...
    One question, are the authors Australian?
    I ask this because I have read guides written by Americans, which although very good, can be confusing considering they discuss traffic situations which are ass-about ( ie they drive on the right etc )
  3. Did an author search and seems they are American. 1 was even the first AMA champ. Still good info though.
  4. the authors are all american IIRC. So you do have to translate right & left in your head - but it's not that much of a big deal really.

Apparently Stay Upright (the MC trainers) have a now out of print book which is at some point going back into production; this will be Australian and could be a decent addition.

It's also worth mentioning the good info at http://msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp, which has a bunch of safety tips. Again, american though, so get out your babelfish.