Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to keep hands warm.......?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Pedro78, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice on how to keep my hands warm as my fingers have been going numb on my morning commutes.

I currently have a pair of Dririder Adventurer Gloves & a pair of Rjays Thermal Inner Gloves.

Ive tried wearing just the Dririders on their own & I’ve also worn them combined with the Rjays Thermal Inners but it doesn’t seem to help.

The strange thing is my mate at work has the same Dririder gloves & his hands are staying warm.
    Would this mean that I have poor circulation or can the type of bike & riding position also be a factor?

He is riding a cruiser with foam hand grips.
    Im riding an across with hard plastic hand grips

Im guessing that the Oxford Hot Grips are probably the way to go but im looking at changing bikes in just under 2 months time so unless they are extremely easy to install & uninstall & reinstall on the next bike I don’t think that they are an option at this stage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. Throw a couple of hothand sachets in hyour gloves.

oh look, they are for sale in teh store :)
  3. You will probably find that if you make an effort to keep your upper body and your neck warm, your toes and fingers will stay warmer. This is because as your body gets cold, it concentrates on keeping your vital organs warm, so blood circulation and therefore warmth in anything a long way from your organs is going to be reduced.

I had freezing fingers and toes wth thinck socks and thermal liners in my gloves (fleecy ones from the ski shop are WAY better than those RJays over priced crap) though as soon as I started wearing a neck warmer to cover my built in heat exchanger (arteries in neck) my fingers etc were instantly better - still get a bit cold, but nothing like they were.

4. The Oxford grips are AWESOME (I miss mine :( ) . We've just ordered some handlebar mitts...haven't arrived yet, but I'll let you know how they go when I use them. I have issues with keeping my fingers warm. The comment about keeping upper half and neck warm doesn't necessarily work. I wear a Fogoff face mask, have plenty of hair on my head (a big help! :LOL: ), I tuck in my multiple layers into my DriRider jacket with the thermal chest piece thingy, two pairs of gloves and barkbusters. Normally can't feel my fingers after about 10 mins and just about crying by the time I get to work :shock:

Mind you, we seem to be regularly having below zero nights up here....
  5. Moto-dry "Black Ice" gloves; the best $75 a motorcyclist can spend.
  6. +1 lil
    Had my oxford grips a cpl of weeks now. How did I manage without them :?
    Love em !
  7. Re: Warm Hands

So how do you keep the other hand warm? :LOL:
  8. I have the best winter gloves money can buy.
    Warm as toast and dry as a nuns nasty ;)

Couple them with BMW heated grips and you get some pretty impressive blisters :shock:
  9. Doctors rubber gloves works really well under you riding gloves in the cold and rain ,if your stuck with out proper water proof or winter gloves ,get them at any coles or wooly in the cleaning section for a few $$$ pack of 10 ..or box of 100. :wink:

I got the Black ice one as well ,there pretty good but bulky.
  10. *taken from a news article*

Ride your bike with your feet, have one hand in your pants and one holding a video camera at 150km/h
  11. I have Dririder Highlander gloves and Oxford inner gloves for really cold mornings, keeps me warm unless temp down around <-1. Make sure you keep your head and neck warm also.
  12. I dont have any problems with other parts of my body being cold just my hands/fingers that go numb.
    I think one of the problems may be that im not able to get my jacket sleeves over my gloves so perhaps the cold air is sneaking in.
    Ive also considered getting some oxford heated grips but i will be selling my current bike in about 4 weeks so will have to wait and get a set for the new bike.
  13. What are you getting instead? :D