Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to jack up front of motorbike? (Triple tree replacement)

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Evo86, Jan 18, 2009.

1. So one of the steering stops on my lower triple tree has broken off and im going to replace the triple tree myself as its such a simple job.

My only question is how do I jack up the front wheel as im replacing the triple tree I cant use a front fork stand or a front steering head stand?

The bike is a 2001 r6. I have had a look at using a rear stand and a car jack to lift the front up but the jack would be on the exhaust. I dont like the idea of lifting the bike via the exhaust although i have read that people have done it with no ill effects. There is an opening in teh fairings and a plate welded across the 2 pipes that looks like it could be meant for jacking but I would like to make sure.

Any help or ideas would be great.
  2. You're working the wrong end of the problem...

Attach two motorcycle tie-downs to the rafters of your shed/garage/carport, and attach each end to the same part on each side of the bike. Take up the tension and then ratchet the entire front end of the bike off the ground. It'll stay there as long as you want it to.
  3. +1 seen it done at Chef's place 2 weeks ago. Works a treat!
  4. Yeah this did cross my mind however there are no rafters or anything to attach ratchets to at either my apartment. If no other ideas pop up i will look into making something up.

Thanks for the help guys
  5. You could make up a simple framework that is about half a metre higher than the front of the bike, attach a tie down to one end, pass it under the bike and ratchet it up on the other end.....
  6. Axle stands under then engine or borrow/hire a engine crane thingo.
  7. Put bike on sidestand. If bike is leaning at a fairly steep angle, put a small block of wood under the sidestand to make it a bit more vertical. Put a car jack under the header pipes, with a magazine or bit of wood in between the pipes and the jack. Jack it up.

If there's heavy bolts like axle bolts to undo, loosen them off a touch first so you're not putting huge force on them with the bike raised.

I've done loads of bikes this way, it's always worked fine.
  8. See if a bottle jack will fit between the pipes (works for me).
  9. ride to someone else's place who does have rafters :grin:
  10. don't be offended, but if you can't figure out how to suspend your bike off the front, i think a triple clamp swap may be beyond your capabilities. do you know how to replace the bearing races once the front end is off? do you have new bearings yet (i'd recommend aftermarket tapered bearings)? do you have the tools to finish the job from start to finish (dremel for cutting the bear race, the right size socket for the head stem nut, etc...)?

the exhaust headers for an inline 4 will support a LOT of weight, especially if that weight is applied gently and progressively... as it would be using the method suggested by Loz and the like. suspending from rafters is good IF you have a proper lifting chain block. using ratchet straps is bad because when you lower the bike, the whole thing will drop. there is no safe way to loosen ratchet straps slowly. also the bike swings and moves around a lot when it is suspended and only sitting on the back wheel. side to side movement is inevitable unless you run the straps out wide to either side.

my personal choice is to support the bike on both sides with tall axle stands under aftermarket crash knobs. this gives you the most stability and space to work on the bike.
  11. This sounds really dumb, but I went over to a mates placed once who was working on his forks.

He actually removed the whole fork and was working on them on his work bench. I asked how he suspended his bike tp remove them, so he pointed to his backyard (which you couldn't see from his garage), & he laid his bike down over a inflatable mattress which had a pallet under it.
    Bike was a ZZR600.
    Had it's fairing removed.

Funniest thing I ever did see.
  12. I do think my capabilities allow me to do the swap. I have designed and built a prototype racecar from the ground up and I do have the tools for the job. However working on cars my whole time and not worrying about having to balance a car makes this new for me. So i was seeing what people who have worked on bikes often may do. I know that i sure as hell would not lift or support a car by its headers even the race car which weighs 150kg but was not sure on bikes.

Thanks for all the responses and i might try jacking under the exhaust with the side stand down once i get back from my trip.
  13. cool, well if you're near the inner west, i'm happy to assist in anyway. one thing i do when swapping the bearing races is to put them in the freezer over night.