Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how to handle road ragers on a cycle but it could easily apply to motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smee, Jan 13, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

2. Very handy. :)
  3. Assuming that you are not in the wrong, eh?
  4. I've done the slow clap before as well as a wave. I wave when they cut me off and they see me in their rear view mirror. A slow clap for someone in the right lane on a freeway slowing everyone down...not so much a slow clap because I had to rush it before the bike slowed down too much...but was hilarious :)
  5. Blow a kiss. Always blow a kiss. I you think you did nothing wrong and they're raging at you and you blow a kiss in their direction they will go APE!
  6. Slightly OT, but I was in the cage yesterday, turning left into a main road from business premises. A postie on postiebike was coming down the main road from the opposite direction turning right across me into a side street. As I turned into the main road I slowed down to let him through in good time and gave him the thumbs up.

He must have thought I was giving him the finger because he started mouthing off and gesticulating at me. :LOL:
  7. Of course not, why else would someone in a car yell at a cyclist?

8. I've done the wave and slow clap too. On both the motorbike and pushie. The others look worth testing.
  9. Top marks sir. I've often given a big thumbs up but never thought of this.
  10. Hmmm, I dunno .......... I reckon "flash them" is worth a try.
  11. Blow a kiss always works a treat.

Simple shrug, arms out like FTW.

Another fav - get them to wind a window down (probably wont do it if they are completely raging at you) - but more if they cut you off, do something dumb - pull up along side them like you have something to tell them and and in a really clam voice let them know there L plate just fell off. RAGE ahoy ahoy. Maybe add the blow the kiss as you filter forward.
  12. Indecipherable sign language is always a good bet. Draw a circle around the top of your head or put a flat palm up towards the sky have worked week for me. They spend the rest of the day wondering what it means.
  13. .... I have made a sweeping gesture with my arm and hand ... Meaning.... " oh! after you!"

... Got some good looks from that one!!...8-[
  14. Around a dangerous driver, the last thing I intend to do is take my hands off the controls.

Head shake and/or horn works for me.
  15. I'm going to flash my moobs next time. Thanks for the suggestion!
  16. Whatever the reason, sitting on a bike alongside someone's ton-and-a-half of mobile self-esteem and belittling them doesn't strike me as particularly smart. Just GTF out of there IMO.

(But if they can't get at you, then yes, blow a kiss :D )
  17. #17 twainharte, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    [URL="]Bicycle Rights [/URL]