Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to: Get used to a big bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Paulstar3, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Hey Guys,

Im 636'd up now with an R license 8-[

I'm coming from a whiny 250cc with skinny tyres to this monster, and I have no idea what to do with it!

I cant pull the throttle for more than a second or im in license losing territory pr in danger of sitting on one wheel (250cc wouldnt do that ever never) I worry about pulling the brakes too hard for fear it'll throw me over the handle bars (my 250cc had basically no brakes)

hmmmm, whats the deal? I dont think that simply riding the bike on the street is going to teach me too much about using it, am i wrong? Do i go for advanced rider course? track day? I want to have a better command of the bike like I had with the 250cc by the time i sold it, I had done 2 track days and 10,000kms or so on the 250.

2. Advanced rider course from what I hear will help immensely.

3. Welcome to the world of big horsepower, high cost tyres and ever tightening licence losing scenarios.

You should always consider doing additional training (IMHO).

As a reality check any sportsbike isnt really designed to putt around the street, so as you've already discovered the track is where its at if you want to explore the full potential in the safest environment.

Great choice of bike and enjoy.

4. +100. Not only that, but you'll enjoy riding more.

5. Have you guys done one, which one and what did you take away from it that made it worthwhile for yourself?

I can take it on the track in a month, im just worried that the track wont be the best place to get acquainted properly :-s gotta do it right, take it slow make it special :angel:

6. Yay for the first one, im an occasional rider so meh for the second one and tell me about it for the 3rd one...i know there are bigger faster bikes but to me the response this bike gives is sensationally instant. Tiny blips of throttle put the speed on in tens of kilometers at a time.

7. Two key controls to learn
    - Throttle control - ease the power on. You'll get use to that pretty quick. Take it easy
    - Self control - up to you! The more difficult one to learn.

8. The first day was crazy, speeding everywhere unintentionally but I'm getting better at throttle control each time i ride it.

At first i was just too twitchy to go thru intersections in first gear so i'd put it up to second and roll thru the corner that way off throttle but im working on that too.

9. Sorry to say it, but riding it is the only way you will get used to it. On the track, on the road, it will all help.

Throttle control will be the big one to learn, get out there & ride the thing. Take it somewhere quiet nearby & practise riding slowly, even just in a carpark.

Once you're comfortable with that, hit the road!

10. Might want to do advanced training with HART, Stayupright or even CSS where you get some training before you do trackday. I did an intermediate course on a 600 before I moved to a 600 and that helped a lot

11. Being on a restricted license you may struggle getting in a riding course. Normally you require a license for the bike you are riding. I know with California Superbike school this is the case.

12. It is only a 636. You'll be right after putting some km's on it.

13. I have unrestricted license.

It's less intimidating after today, took it to old pacific and road it @ the speed limit. Got to use the brakes a bit more and slowed down and sped up on the freeway to get used to all that.

So easy to overshoot the limit >_< i think it'll be fine

I want to do a course which is more track skills focused

14. Mate....get some perspective...you're not on a reeally powerful bike. A good bike Yes, but it's not overly powerful....Get used to it...In 2-3 weeks, if you ride smart, you'll have yourself and thus the bike, under control.

15. Follow the same "rules" as for breaking in a new bike (even if your new bike is second hand):

1. Scrub in the tyres. Put at least 100 KMs on the bike riding as if the roads were wet, then go find yourself a nice quiet road where you can lean it over a bit more on the corners, and add in the lean bit my bit.

2. Set some rev limits on yourself. Ride around for a while doing no more than 33% of the redline revs, then once you feel comfortable with that, push up to 50%.

I was pretty cautious moving onto the Z750 after my LAMS bike but just by breaking it in and being sensible, I became comfortable with it really quickly. I still can't tell you how fast it goes at redline in any gear, but I know enough of the bike to be having fun and keeping the rubber side down, and that's what counts in my book.

16. It just takes time. I moved to my 600 a few months back and the first few days were wickedly amazing to the point of scaring the shit out of me a few times. Biggest difference was the throttle sensitivity compared to the 250. I remember the first time i did a power wheelie unintentionally while going down a hill.... had my heart going 200bpm...
    Best thing u can do to get used to it is just ride it around in an environment where you have to constantly vary the throttle.
    Another biggie for me was the difference in gear changing and how much more rough it was. Turns out that just takes time and practice to get it switching smoothly.

Although the 2nd day i had my bike i was already in the twisties with a few mates... Probably not the best idea but it was pretty damn fun

17. I went from a 250c to an 1100cc in one jump. Fair enough, they are both cruisers, but there was still a huge difference in weight and power. I found the main thing to get used to was the weight, especially when manouvering it around when parking. Youre probably already used to your new bike by now, have fun, ride safe.