Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to get over curbs?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mewnz, Jul 5, 2008.

1. :oops:

My nemesis at the moment is the curb that leads to my driveway, I'm not really sure how I'm meant to take it. I tried going at an angle like on a pushbike, which I will try again later today... I tried front on but that just ended up with me having a sore frank and beans haha.

I saw a bloke in the distance do it while walking home one day, and he seemed to slow right down, get the front over slowly and once that was up everything was good, so I will also be trying that.

Basically can anyone tell me what I'm meant to be doing?

(Make fun if you wish, Mum and the bloke across the street got a laugh out of it this morning I'm sure! :grin: )
  2. :WStupid:

Take a pic of the curb :wink:
  3. Just a regular curb :)

4. Strongly recommend no angle (especially in the wet). Learned that one the hard way when the front tyre slid out under me on a busy shopping strip. Hugely embarrassing. If you ever need to run over anything, always take it front on.
    Shouldn't be too bad by the looks of it, it's quite rounded. Should be able to take it either slow or with some speed up I would think. Straight is the ticket though I would think.
  5. Any significant speed the wheel slots nicely into the curve and attempts to make my outside organs inside ones. I'll try going up slow and front on this afternoon, thanks! Didn't know about the angles in the wet.
  6. Slow right down, and as you're about to pop up over the kerb, give the throttle a light blip, nothing much, just enough to unload the front suspension a little.
    Go and practice it somewhere that you have a good run up and plenty of room behind teh kerb first though.
    Median strips are a good thing to practice on if you can find somewhere quiet.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. Sh!t, I misread the topic and I thought you were asking how to get over crabs which I wouldnt know

Approach slowly. Pop the front wheel over and away you go. Dont do it on an angle.

Could be difficult if you're on a small wheeled scoot though.
  8. Dude, stand on the pegs, lift your bum off the seat!
  9. Don't have the balance at low speeds to be out of the seat yet :)

Thanks for the replies everyone!
  10. with more weight on the pegs / down lower it should be easier to balance then when sitting.
  11. If going over the curb on a angle make sure the bike is fairly upright and make sure your going at a speed in which you can recover at. Or you could just go up it slowly from any angle with the bike up right and feet hanging just above the ground.
  12. That's it, dead slow, dead straight. Be gentle on your tyres. See if you can build up a bit of a ramp with sh1t, sand, cement like whatever against the curb if you've got to do it regularly.
  13. same way you get over speed bumps, round abouts, stray animals

up on the pegs, lean back a little, bounce up and gas it
  14. Shave half your pubes, set fire to the other half and stab the bastards with a pin when they come running out.
  15. :LOL: :shock: :twisted:
  16. wheelie then stoppie
  17. Our local shopping centre has allocated the MC parking on top of a nasty curb, that I wouldn't dare use.
    Could you fix the slope with some quick set cement?
  18. just get a small plank of wood about half the height of the kerb and lay it down to help reduce the initial height you have to go up.
  19. i find the best way is to get your weight right back as the front wheel goes over, then lift your weight off the back of the bike to get the rear wheel up

works well on big gutters