Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to get my bike on the UTE?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by zmokin, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Just wondering how you all go about loading your presious machinery on to a ute. Ive always done it on a trailer (Dirtbike) I want to head to the island and not have ride the bike there and back. (Slicks on)

Puts Flame suit on

I jsut bought a new VE SSV, and I seriously have no idea the safest way to get the bike on and off. There are a heap of tie down points but im a little warey of just using a ramp to get the bike on. .

Thanks in advance

Anthony

2. Make sure the tailgate is strong enough, buy a pieve of wood as long as the tray/ one of those fandangled foldy things, set up, jump on it to make sure its secure,

Slip the bike in first up the ramp (practice in your driveway first if you want [trick is to pull in the clutch if you go too fast and to not panic]),

Run the bike into one corner of the tray, then take your assistant you prepared earlier to steady the bike while you tie it down using your chosen solution...

(I take no responsibility for bikes falling off ramps, however just about everyone I have seen, and myself, use this technique)

3. Helps if you can put the ute at the bottom of the kerb or an incline - a few degrees difference in the ramp angle can make it a lot easier.

4.  Top
  5. just bunny hop it up there :LOL:

6. Everyone should be able to do this, its just like the Ls test :LOL:

7. And most importantly of all, make sure somebody films you using it for the first time! :eek: :LOL:

8. You are a wicked man, Titus :LOL:.

9. All looks pretty straight forward.

Please find below, an easy-to-follow, instructional diagram:

[​IMG]

10. Those ramps work well with a trailer (trailers are low).

They work ok with Holden/Falcon utes (they aren't that high).

They are difficult with 2wd Japanese utes (they are high).

They are bloody difficult with 4wd Japanese utes (they are dangerously high).

nb... all of this assumes one isn't built like a basketball player :LOL:

*edit* The lighter a bike the higher the ramp that is ok, a trail bike isn't that bad even on a 4x4, but a Gold Wing would be a pain on anything higher than a trailer.

One needs to be able to hold the handlebars and operate the clutch and throttle which is the limiting factor if one is going to walk them up.

Some people ride them up... which IMO is a bit risky.

11. If you're going to walk the bike up, get yourself two ramps; One for the bike to travel up and one for you to walk up beside it as you operate the clutch, throttle.

12. REmember to compress the front forks before strapping it down.

13. Generally not recommended as it can put too much pressure on the fork oil seals. Granted, I used to do it on the trail bikes as I didn't know any better. There are plenty of wheel holding/swingarm holding solutions out there.

14. Here comes another whole can o' worms...

15. Yep. But still, your bike, your choice. Never had any problems with the dirtbikes, but with pressurised suspension, always a risk of damaging a seal.

16. #16 belair, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  17. Ouch,
    that really sux.

Cheers
    Chris.

18. lol at the video, and thats even with a pretty wide ramp, if you got a mate or 2 or not a old man just lift it into the ute.

19.  Top
  20. i like the first 2 pics...that is some effort LOL

phong =P~