Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW How to get footpath parking in NSW?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by sydneybiker, Jan 19, 2005.

1. any suggestions on how to get this really good idea in place in NSW? I am very jealous of all victorians ability to do this....

how did it get started in Vic? how to get it started in NSW? political pressure? a bike rally? filling up every car spot with bikes?

suggestions pls......... :D
  2. Check out the www.mraa.org.au website and go through the newsletters, in there is a story on the history of the MRAA and a section on how footpath parking came about. Not sure where it is but there are two parts of the MRAA website that has thier newsletter on it.

Failing that try posting to the MRA yahoo forum

From memory I think that City of Melbourne Mayor at the time was a major driving force behind the change and worked closely with the MRA.

Or ask the NSW equivalent of the MRA the question of why it doesn't exist up there.

3. Hardly an equivalent .. MRA couldn't organise a root in a brothel compared to the MCC of NSW.

Ignore MRA (who don't even exist in NSW anyways), and just go straight to MCC of NSW. They are the political representative of most NSW motorcycle clubs.
  4. I'm not sure how the system works in NSW (is it illegal?), but Victorians have always had the right to park on the footpath, and the campaign was to stop that right being taken away.

The result has been an acceptable (well, to me anyway) compromise.

If footpath parking is illegal in NSW, then you're trying to introduce a right which hasn't previously existed and you have a much tougher job that the Victorians did.

Nevertheless, the arguments for encouraging bikes into the CBD are the same (probably more compelling in NSW given your parking situation and narrow roads) so good luck!