Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to ensure the odometer is legit

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by banditbob, Dec 7, 2006.

1. I'm about to buy a used 250 zeal and I was wondering if there was any way to check that the odometer shows the true reading.

I'm getting a mechanical inspection so maybe they might knowhow?

2. About all you can do is to go by its general condition. Also, if you have access to the Redbook or Glass's Guide databases, they may have the average km travelled for the bike in question. If the one that you're looking at seems to be low kays for its year and for the average for the model, then it may be suss.

But in the end, the mechanical condition is what should count. There are bikes with low kays that have had the bags flogged out of them, and as such aren't worth much. Then there are those which have a lot of kays under the belt, but are in great nick.

Your idea of taking it to a mechanic for a check is a good one.

Good luck with it.

3. Ask to see the service books. About the only real way of knowing whether or not odo is legit.

4. I know you are from brisbane, but a heads up for the nsw people (and any other state requiring annual inspections, is to ask the registration body for the records of each yearly odometer reading. It requires a fairly hardcore owner to wind the clock back each year before inspection instead of doing it before they sell it.

That said, many things age without use, so there is probably not much value in an odo reading on an old bike.