Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to do a successful uturn in a small street

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Johnskis, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Hi guys?

Just picked up a 2008 Suzuki vl250 on the weekend and have been practicing riding up and down my street (small suburban 2 way street).

I've been practicing gearing up and down as well as emergency brake. I tried doing a full u turn on the bike but to no success. I even came off the bike today. I'm unsure how far away I should look as I'm doing a full u turn and feel uncomfortable look so car away around my shoulder. And also what speed I should be at.

Can someone explain to me what the correct technique is? I did my pre learners in late Jan this week so I forgot quite alot. Think I might find a class to enroll in to freshen up my memory.

2. G'day mate

Quite a few threads that touch on u-turns in here. This one is a recent one...

https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=113702

Has a few links to youtube vids as well.

(y)

Basic technique is fast idle (throttle), friction point (clutch), BACK BRAKE ONLY, turn your head like an owl to the exit of the u-turn.

Fun Ha!

3. Use the rear brakes, not the front.

Feather the clutch if needed.

Lean the bike the way you want to turn, and keep your self upright, or just a bit to the opposite side.

Works for me.

4. Look waaaaaaay over your shoulder. Drag the rear break. and if it feels like its gonna go to hell just keep looking and gas it.

5. What he said...

6.  Top
  7. woah...rides kinda like u spenz :p

8. what most of them said, feather the clutch and rear brake only. Also like jirf88 said look way over your shoulder to where you want to go. I was taught to look towards the horizon, little hard with houses around you but you get the idea. If you look at the ground just behind you that is where you, and the bike, will end up. I find if I feel its going to go over on me I give it a touch more throttle and and it pulls itself upright.

9. +1, i have had my bike way over and standing almost entirely on the outside peg. Got around and got a clap from a few people who were watching =D>.
    Realistically though, id rather put my foot down then drop my bike, and there is no shame in putting it down (i balls up my uturns often enough).
    Ive only got a small bike though, id be more hesitant to do it with a monster :p.

10. that was amazing!

at what speed should i be when trying to do a u turn? when i tried at a really low speed I found the bike to be a bit wobbly and I felt like it was going to stall.

I'll def try looking as far ahead as possible. I think subconsciously I just want to look down at the kerb. Got to break that habit.

In the MOST test, I'm guessing you have to perform a u turn?

11. Hey mate

Yep avoid the kerb looking - You'll hear it called target fixation and it affect me (and pretty much everyone else) all the time and it's not limited to slow speed stuff (or just kerbs :D). Fight to overcome it and be aware of it when it happens. Look at your exit point and up the road past it as you turn.

As for the speed in a u-turn, as your confidence improves your speed will. But what can make a huge difference and help in gaining that confidence is incrementally increasing the speed little by little till you get a good feeling about your turns. A highly skilled rider can perform u-turns at extremely slow speeds but a newer rider will probably find that a small bit of extra speed helps if the u-turn is wobbly as all get out!

Also, instead of trying the u-turns in a narrow street go find a wide open space like a car park and practise there. Then it won't matter if you run wide.

And to answer your MOST question... Yes (at least in NSW but I assume elsewhere as well).

Good luck!

Fun Ha!

12. ... yep!, but you do not necessarily have to do it perfectly. If you pass everything else without penalty, I understand that an imperfect u turn will still get you an overall pass for your P's.

One guy actually stalled his bike too when I did my P's..and he still passed!!.

13. how to u turn (supermoto style):

1. make sure tyres are up to proper temp.
    2. start as fast as possible.
    3. brake as late as possible.
    4. put indicator on.
    5. change down to 1st and slip clutch to slide.
    6. stick leg out and drag inside footpeg on road.
    7. get to apex and get on the gas hard.
    8. powerslide around and cancel indicator.
    9. rock a stand-up power wheelie.
    10. repeat.

thats more of an advanced technique though.

but the main thing is if you feel off balance, just open the throttle a bit. it helps.

14. #16 blocka, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  15. Go slowly. Keep a few revs up and control your speed by feathering/riding the clutch. Lightly dragging the rear brake will help to heep everything smooth.

Remember to keep your chin up and look back down the road where you want to go.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to find an experienced netrider to watch you practice and provide some advice.

16. I live in Cabramatta West. Yes that would be great. Nothing like the wisdom of an experience rider. ATM I think its all down to confidence. I went for my 5th ride today and I didn't stall in once. So I'm def improving in that sense. I'm also more away of checking that I've turned off my indicators.

Only thing I'm not happy right now is I'm going too wide in my left turns. =/. And I'm too tense. I can definitely feel my left hand getting sore. That's why I'm only riding for 30mins. It starts to ache too much.

17. If your hand is getting sore, it means you are probably holding the bars too tightly (known as a death grip). This will also explain why you are turning wide. Holding the bars tightly stiffens up your upperbody and arms which makes it dimpossible to steer the bike effectively. You need to be relaxed and loose so you don't feed unwanted input to the bars. Remember also to keep your chin up and look where you want to go.

18. OP, where do you live?