Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to disassemble Forks? (GS500)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Zbike, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Hey i got a Suzuki GS 500 06,
    They are standard forks (not upsidedown USD ones)

I need to take the chrome long peice out and separate it from the bottom section as the chrome bit is damaged and i have a new one to replace it with.

My problem is that when i try to unscrew the screw located on the lowest section of the of the fork, (The screw that is responsible for holding the pieces together) It turns and with it the inside of the fork, Which i cannot clamp down. Meaning i cannot unscrew i.

Only options i see is to clamp the inside of the fork by inserting a rubber/metal cone shaped pole down the fork to stop the inside from turing and then unscrewing the screw.

Any Advice.
    Am i missing something.

UPDATE
    Figured it out. Got a long metal pole sharpened it with a grinder and showed it inside the fork. Clamped down the pole then unscrewed it all good now.

2. always "crack" that bolt when the forks are still in the tripleclamp :!:

3. that might have worked if the fork wasnt severed and the spring hanging out.

Am i on the right track, with a Long rod with a metal/rubber cone peice on the end. to hold the inside. Any tips someone can give me.

I can weld/grind well enough.

4. Rattle gun. You wont need to hold anything.

5. Just push a wooden rod (broom handle etc..) up the tube. Worked for me every time.