Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to deal with sweat?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Seamus, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Hello, :)

Is breathable, yet water-proof wet weather clothing that doesn't make you sweat a myth? The people that make this gear say "it's breathable" but I've got one of these "breathable" jackets and I sweat like a pig in it.

My jacket is waterproof and protective, but it feels like I'm wearing a plastic garbage bag because it gets like a sauna inside.

I've been told that Gortex it the fabric I should be looking for if I want to get a breathable and waterproof (not water resistant) jacket.

However, I was Googling and came upon this site: http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/ that claims to have waterproof, yet breathable jackets. There is no mention of Gortex on this site and I'm guessing their definition of "breathable" means parts of the jacket that can be unzipped to let air enter and exit. They are probably not describing the breathability of the materials used to make the jacket waterproof. This is all just my supposition.

Anyone in the know on this topic? I want gear I can wear rain or shine and not die of sweat in the summer months. There is plenty of rain in the warmer months of the year when it gets humid. Very uncomfortable wearing a virtual plactic bag with a cordura outer layer.

Thank you,

2. I actually suggest you buy something like the dririder climate control or Ixon Sismic jackets. They have mesh on the outside, but two liners, a waterproof and thermal one. Take them both out its a summer jacket, have them both in it's waterproof and warm.

Anything you buy that's waterproof on the outside is going to be hot, it's just the breathable are slightly cooler.
  3. Well, Belstaff are one of the most respected manufacturers of riding gear. If I had unlimited budget for such things, I'd definitely look to the European firms like Belstaff or Stadler for my weatherproof stuff - they have quality, and more experience with crap weather than anyone. Unfortunately, they also have prices to match!
    At the more realistic end of the scale, I think any claims of being 'waterproof and breatheable' have to be taken with a large grain of salt. If it is waterproof, it will make you sweat - and if the rain is heavy and long enough, something will eventually leak somewhere as well! It's just a fact of life.
  4. Gortex material does breath quite well, but last year(?) their patent finished so now quite a few other companies are doing a look alike material. Some of them are good, some aren't.

My understanding is that Gortex is a material made from a nylon thread that is then dipped in a silicon solution before being woven, and it is the silicon that not only lets air through but also stops the water. I have had the material proven in a demostration by the manufacturers

I've got the Tiger Angel Element jacket and find it works well in temeratures up to 14C with the internal liner zipped in, and about 18C with the thermal layer out, before I start to want a little more air throught the coat. These temps are for the commute to and from work with stop/start traffic and a motorway section. The good thing is it is definitely waterproof. :cool:

1 thing about gortex, you don't want it directly against the skin, because wind chill can be conducted straight thru the jacket onto bare skin especially if your body has a sheen of sweat on it. Get a layer of material between the gortex and your skin and it is fine.

I prefer my waterproof layer to be the outermost layer as this just makes more sense.
  5. I will say that my Dririder Nordic 4 jacket is still impressing me. Warm as toast.. mmm breaky... yet it doesn't make you sweat (unless its hot).
  6. Goretex is the way to go!

Goretex us a waterproof breatheable material.

I have a Goretex jacket, and a "dressy" jacket with a Goretex lining and it is absolutely fantastic!

Very quick drying and cuts down wind heaps too.

7. Hi,

From my understanding it seems that waterproof textile pants that don't cause you to sweat is a myth. I was just wondering - how do seasoned riders deal with the sweat.

Do you just ignore it, suck it up like a man, is talc or deoderant the best option or is there a better method out there? Dragin jeans not a problem - but as soon as I get into textile waterproof pants it seems as though I'm going to get pretty damp jocks after a decent ride, regardless of the temperature. (Then again, I haven't ridden in single digit temperatures yet, so maybe that's not entirely true).

Suggestions? What works for you?
  8. get a base layer that wicks away sweat. don't think they had them in 2006
  9. #9 CraigA, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Tiger Angel Element Jacket for Seamus and Tiger Angel Pants for aj. These are made of goretex.

That is all you need to know. LOL

Oh, and man up aj. Having lived in the tropics until recently, I basically swam in my own sweat just standing still. I think you can deal with the odd damp sock. :troll:

@ajrider@ajrider, No Justice doesn't own or fund the forum, however I am sure you aren't the first to think this. :clown:
  10. i have 2 jackets one for summer and one for winter (ie absolutely pouring cats n dogs cause in in winter its too hot)

mesh dririder and a canvas or what ever its made of dririder both has zip in rain coats but the canvas only needs it for cyclone ita type weather.
  11. Coolmax jocks are the go.
  12. I own a dririder jacket and I absolutely love it. It can be switched from a summer jacket to a winter jacket in a few seconds. Warm weather but a bit of rain? No problem, take the thermo out. Cold morning with no rain? Take the waterproof out. Boiling hot day? Take it all out (almost feels like you're wearing a t-shirt).

Definitely recommend checking them out.
  13. Not sure I'm familiar with these. I'll check them out. Thanks for the advise.

Thanks for that, but at this stage I've already got 2 sets of textile pants, but I wasn't expecting to sweat the way that I have in them. If there's nothing that can be done and I just need to 'man up' as you say ;) then sure - that's what I'll do, but if there's a good option out their such as the jocks that coolmax has mentioned, I'm wanting to find out. Why live in comfort if I don't have to. :)
  14. #14 Vertical C, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    Mesh jacket is the way to go or you can get cooling jacket that you wet. They are awesome.

Try different jocks. Not cotton
  15. Thanks for the suggestion. I have some silk boxers which I haven't tired yet. Will see if they make any difference.

Looks like those Bonds Coolmax jocks are made of cotton. I've got some really similar that I've worn before though and they came out pretty wet just after sitting around in the pants. (Didn't even need to go for a ride).
  16. #16 CraigA, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    On a more serious note than my last post in this thread, I wear moisture wicking garments in warm weather. They don't stop you sweating but they don't do a bad job of not making you comfotabel by minimizing the dampness you are feeling.
    I find particularly on long rides this aids in my comfort in terms of my butt chaffing up from sitting on the bike in a puddle of sweat for the day.

Where do you live AJ? The weather is pretty good now in most parts of the country, if not a little cool if anything in the southern states.
  17. I live in Victoria CraigA. Found that yesterday just sitting around in my RST's caused me to sweat, even though it was cooler. I may sweat a little more than the average Joe, not sure.
  18. Check out the cycling shorts (to be worn under your jeans). Chaffing is a thing of the past.
  19. The moisture wicking undergarments do the same thing but without the padding. I wear cycling shorts......on my pushy.
  20. I've found some marino wool undergarments online. Supposed to be moisture wicking, so might give these a try. Thanks for the suggestion about non-cotton underwear.

As for wearing them under jeans, dragin jeans aren't a problem. Only textile pants cause me to sweat bad. Do people normally wear jeans underneath textile pants?