Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to convince someone to let u ride a bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Guest, Nov 27, 2005.

1. A question for new riders and not so new riders. How did you convince family members who do not ride bikes to let you ride a bike :wink: .

My Grandpa and Grandma both use to ride bikes 50 something years ago, and as such my Grandpa was a founding member of the PIRC Phillip Island Racing club and use to race there.

But no one else in the family has followed after, and I have just decided to learn to ride a motorbike and need some help convincing them. :D

Thanks

TimVTR250

2. my mother always said .... id never have a bike as long as she had a hole in her a*se.... so one day i rocked up with a wrapped gift for her ..... she opened it and said what the hell is this .... i said spackle ....... your going to need it ... ive brought a bike ..... lol

3. Didn't try. You don't need their permission so they can't stop you. :twisted:

They've gotten used to having to just accept my decisions. Usually they are good and support me. My Dad hates me riding cos he reckons it will kill me, but accepts it as he loves bikes too.

Sorry Tim, guess this doesn't help all that much!

4. Dude if your old enough to ride your old enough to make your own decisions. Thats the way ive always seen it.

5. I'd say it is destiny and its skipped a generation.

6. Both my parents are supportive, but they also live in another country so it wasn't exactly something I raised with them.

I just told them I bought a bike and they said cool.

However I can understand where parents are coming from with younger generations, particularly when you still live at home.

I think its a matter of demonstrating responsibility, eg by buying the right gear, doing advanced courses etc

7. Just tell them you appreciate their concerns and are happy they care enough to raise it but...BUGGER OFF! :)

8. I just turned up with a new bike. I have a habit of doing that kind of thing and my parents don't seem to mind. Dad still rides and Mum used to so I guess it makes sense. Mum doesn't really approve but she doesn't really mind. :D

9. There have been some similar threads in the past which might also offer some advice.

Personally, I don't see why you need to convince them of anything; they'll get used to it when they see how much you love it. ;-)

Maybe you're very young and still at home, in which case I have some sympathy, but I have a friend who is 35 and holding off because of the "shit he'll have to put up with" from his mother :shock:

10. if you didn't do anything your parents didn't like, what fun would you have in life??? :LOL: :LOL:

speak to your parents guage their response. the more shocked and appaled they are, the more fun said activity will be :twisted:

11. One of the most important things you can learn in life.

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission"

Having said that, when I started riding I was 25, and I just went out and did it, and bought a bike. I was wholly self-sufficient and living on my own, so really it had nothing at all to do with my parents. As parents of a self-sufficient adult they have the right object and/or provide advice, but they don't have the right to dictate terms unless you're relying on them for your livelihood.

As it was, my mom silently accepted it even though I know she hates bikes, and when I visit my parents on the bike, which is quite rarely, one of my Dad's guilty pleasures is to take it out for a spin around the block and relive his glory days of riding a bike in his youth, much to my mum's chagrin.

12. My mum hates me riding and probaly always will but i just told her she would have to accept it and she has.

Or you could just rock up with a bike

13. I'm 21 and my parents just bought me a zx6r :D. Well not really, I owe them the money still. Neither ride, or have ever ridden either. Good parents huh. Maybe they don't love me or something.. It probably helps they don't know anyone personally that's been killed or hurt bad on a bike.

It wasn't all that hard convincing them when I was 16 that I wanted to buy a motorbike either. I organised and did the L's course on my own then said there's no point me having my bike L's without a bike.

But if your parents aren't so easy to convince, focus on the positives of riding and let them know how you'll survive on the road. For instance telling them you'll be sticking to back roads and avoiding traffic when you're starting out. Worked fairly seemlessly for me..

14. Thanks for your help,

I think that since I will be paying for the bike/ petrol & insurance. Its of curtisey to let them know. But in the end it is my decision :D

Is that what its all about
    :wink: :wink:

Tim[/quote]