Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to compare bikes ????

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Cambo, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Ok,

I think I have narrowed my choice down to two bikes. They are particularly different types of bikes and I'm not sure which way to go.

The two choices are:

1. Honda VTR 250; or
    2. Yamaha Virago.

I am only interested in buying new. I refuse to buy 2nd hand for cars, etc as most are lemons and I feel safer with new.

As you can see, their riding is completely different, but without the opportunity to test ride as shops wont let you test ride a newish bike (especially on L's), I have no idea how the hell I am going to be able to choose.

I would like the VTR, but for Bendigo/Shepparton/Eildon road trips I think hte Virago would be better, but I think most riding will be commuting.

HELP!!!!!! :? :? :?
  2. I reckon for commuting, VTR250 would be good...
  3. What? how do you figure that?

As to the original question, how tall are you? The 250 virago is a bit weird for people of average height or taller.

Also I think you assumption that the virago would be better on longer trips is false. The truth is that cruisers, particular smaller ones, are not that good for longer trips.

VTR hands down, if your not absolute on the cruiser thing.
  4. If you're going to be doing a lot of highway riding then the more power the better - and so the VTR would definately be the better option. Either bike should happily sit on the speed limit but the VTR is going to have that little bit more in reserve which makes overtaking on single lane highways a lot easier (and safer). The extra power and better handling of the VTR would also be an advantage for commuting (makes it easier to avoid other vehicles).
  5. VTR (Nakid sports)
    Virago (Cruser)

why this pair. they have nothing in common...
    Honda and Kwaka also put out new 250 Crusers

And Hyo puts out new 250 everything (Allowing for your reasoning to buy new this may not be a path you wish to follow)

I would sugest you identify in your self what sort of riding you want and let that shortlist teh bike for you.
  6. Im still new to bikes ,so take this with a grain of salt.

IMHO I don't think a cruiser is good to "really" learn how to ride.
    Sure there small and close to the ground and slow ,BUT your not learning how to ride a bike fully and what a bike can really do.
    Im glad I got a sports bike ,then a cruiser ,it will make you a better rider for when you pick your next biger bike.
    With the VTR ,your 99% garenteed to have fun on it while learning, the only thing you "might want for" is the relaxed riding position.
    With a cruiser ,your 99% going to want to get a bigger one after 6 months or less.

It's just my 1c.
  7. That's not true. I test rode both a honda CBF (redwing) and a VTR 250 (Metro Ringwood), no they were not brand new but gave me good enough idea as to how they ride and my like or dislike for them. I was also offered a test ride on a Virago @ Clipstone Yamaha they even offered to let me do some car park riding if I wasn't feeling too confident. All this while I had my L's.

Maybe you should ask them nicely :p

8. I'mOnIt, I found that to be the case as well. I test rode a 2001 VTR250 in the carpark behind Metro Honda the day after I got my Ls.

Cambo, I bought my new VTR250 almost 3 weeks ago. I'm happy with my purchase. Its a good bike for someone who is starting off. I found the two Honda dealerships I went into more helpful than the Kawasaki and Suzuki dealerships I visited. More specifically, Glenn at Metro is really good/helpful and told me what was good value for money. He didn't try to sell up every piece of gear just to try and extract an extra $1,000 out of me like another place did. He can answer whatever questions you may have and will put together a good package. I ended up buying from Jeffrey Honda only because it was a much easier ride home for my first ride on the road. I could not differentiate between Metro and Jeffrey with their service and how helpful they are. Steve at Jeffrey has been great both before and after the sale - good info/advice and listened to what I was after and matched up the appropriate products.