Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to choose a chain?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Meyerhoff, Jun 16, 2016.

1. So. 04 Daytona 600. Not sure what type of sprockets are on there. The sprockets might be shagged because the chain is so slack its almost touching the swing arm at rest. Im planning to buy a new chain to determine if new sprockets are also required. Manual says use a DID 525 VM2 . DID has allegedly retired that chain model and are recommending VX type instead. But thats confusing because supposedly there was already and old type of chain called VX which was inferior to the VM2 but supposedly now the new VX is superior. However When i compare what i assume the correct specs for the VM2 chain i see that all the specs are not identical for what DID is listing for their VX Chains. (Pin length, roller diam, plate thickn, etc)

So my question is; is there a recommended chain for tt600 and if not what specifications matter when selecting a chain? If i buy any old chain does it matter what type of sprockets its going on?
  2. Why don't you just tighten the chain a little? Save you the money...
  3. Already tried that. Wasnt sucessful. I could be because i didnt know what i was doing on this particular bike since its new to me but im pretty sure theres just no adjust left in the wheel.
  4. Interesting. Its dodgey, but you COULD cut one link out of the chain and wind the chain adjusters all the way in. This should allow you to adjust the slack accordingly. Then get someone to tell you if you needs new sprockets as well as a new chain, and you can replace the lot if needed.
  5. good plan. but what if im wrong and the chain is just supposed to be slack like that.
  6. Dont take notice about the swing arm touching. Just make sure the middle deflection of the chain is within factory spec when the bike is on its sidestand and you are not sitting on it.

Should be 1-2" for most bikes.

Once you sit on the bike the chain gets tighter and any bumps you ride over will also take up slack when suspension compresses.

Taking out links is not a good idea in most cases unless it's an emergency get home some sort of situation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I tried that once. Turns out you can't just take out one link, you end up taking out 2. The first inner, the next outer, leaving you with an inner on the end. Then the chain wasn't long enough then was it? Meh! It was rooted anyway.

If the chain is rooted to the max, then so are your sprockets, which will root the new chain.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. chain slack should be whatever the manual says with whatever method they specify.
    start with that.

preferably don't get supercheap chinese chain.

check what is written on your links, ie 520, 525, 530. (and check width of front/rear sprockets are same too, ya never know on a new bike)
    main difference is width of the plates.
    O vs X-ring.. plain vs gold.. whatever, probably makes less difference than how often you maintain it..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. problem is the manual only mentions measuring slack on the bottom side. It says nothing about how close the chain should be to the swingarm. Im pretty sure it must drag on the swing arm during operation.
  10. That's where you measure the slack, underneath the swingarm. That's the same for every chain driven bike. Don't worry about the top run, it will take care of itself when the bottom is right. A pretty average spec would be 25-35mm slack with the bike on the side stand, and a bit loose (note I said "a bit" not "a lot") is better than tight. The exact numbers vary but dirt/adventure style bikes usually have larger figures than road bikes due to longer suspension travel. 50mm is a good figure for KLR650s, for example.
    How close the chain runs to the top of the swingarm is determined by where the sprockets and axles line up. When you're riding the top run of the chain is under tension, so it's dead straight. On over-run, braking etc, there's a bit of slack up there but the swingarm guard takes care of it. Don't worry about it.
    • Agree Agree x 1