Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to change output shaft oil seal on ZZR250?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by hydroxinol, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Hello all. I looked outside at my bike today and noticed that it had been leaking some oil. After a good inspection I discovered that the source of the leak was behind the front small sprocket. I took this off and started up the bike. After about 30seconds oil starts pissing out of the output shaft.

I assume that the output shaft oil seal has gone, and needs replacing? Is this something that can be replaced myself from the outside? (bike is a 1997 Kawasaki ZZR-250). If so how is this done?

Also, just a silly question. Does the gearbox on a ZZR-250 use the engine oil or its own oil reservoir via a drain/filler plug as on a car?
  2. Latest development: Drained some oil. It smells and feels like petrol :shock:. I guess I have a leaky carb that is letting fuel into the cylinders. I am also guessing that the fuel is making the oil thinner so that is why it is leaking past the seal.
  3. take of the front sproket
    then u just stick a screw driver in there and lever out the old seal
    stick a new one in and hammer it in.

pretty easy
    hardest part is prying the old seal out without damaging the alloy case that it is held in.
  4. That'll do it every time.

You'll need to clean/reseat the carburettor float needle valves and change the engine oil.

5. Yep, just did that. So far so good. :)