Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to change a Car drivers bad habits?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by wang chung, Jul 29, 2005.

1. So i have this friend.
    Does her makeup while driving her car.. Talks on her phone, sms.. etc
    She ran a few red lights, she got flashed for 1 and lost 3 points. She wasnt paying attention.. She saw it was orange, started to stop.. then thought she could make it.. then started to stop again.. and ended up going thru it at like 20km/h :LOL:

Any ideas? Or do people just have to learn the hard way?
    Crashing / Injuring / killing someone?

2. What could work would be to follow someone for a while, filming how they drive then play it back to them. Might make them realise how their driving looks to others.

3. Perhaps complain to Kellogg's for handing out licenses in Cornflakes packets again. They always seem to end up in the hands of those least capable of using them. :p

A slap upside the head mightn't go astray, either. Oh, and make a point of never letting them drive you anywhere - always say, "I'm driving!" Maybe get the hint?

4. Fancy letting driving getting in the way of all the other important stuff!!

Just remind her that if she runs a red and bowls a rider over that she WILL have the netrider crew to deal with

5. You could also insist on only travelling in their car wearing a helemt and full race leathers "just in case".

6. Have you pointed out the stupidity of her ways and what is the reaction you get?

May be worthwhile to quote her the maximum penalties she would face if she kills someone coming the other way...serious jail time with a hermaphrodite named Kevin

7. Take your friend for a "quiet" ride on the pillion seat of your bike. Show her how vulnerable you are...scare the socks off her and maybe she'll develop a better appreciation of how dangerous her own driving habits are.

8. Turn it around against her . Explain it in a way where you dont show any sympathy towards her but to a innoccent victim of her careless actions . The pain she will cause not only to her family and friends but to the parents and family of her victim . Sounds callas , but mybe it's what she needs.

9. Motoring is so easy these days - point the car in the direction you want to go, and press the stop and go buttons. But responsible road use is a lot like being an astronaut - you need to have 'the right stuff'. Let's face it, to drive legally within the law, you need basic motor skills and vision which can distinguish light areas from dark - and a dab of concentration - a well monkey could drive a car. To drive responsibly and react to different situations that you face out there, you need to give the road your full attention. If you're not willing to do this, you should choose an alternative mode of transport.

10. There's an Aussie film called 'Idiot Box' from about 1996. In one scene Ben Mendelson gets out of his stolen car and says to the driver behind "It's very rude to flash your high beams." Hen then smashes the headlights with a bit of wood or something and reitterates, "Very fcuking rude." Gets back in his car and departs the scene. This strikes me as a surprisingly effective way to educate drivers but it's likely to give your mates the shits. :D

11. When I go around the city, I try to encourage good habits to supervised learner drivers. Alot of them seem to hang around Lygon St area.

When they're in the left lane, I come up to them (not stupidly close, just reasonable) in the right lane where I'm visable in their side mirrors, and just enough room for me to perform a quick manuever or a stop if anything goes wrong.

The correct way to merge (as you guys of course all know), is to look at mirror, indicate, headcheck and change lanes. Learners tend to indicate first, start changing lanes and then check their mirrors, not to mention forgetting the whole headcheck step.

So what happens is they start creeping into my lane a little, realise then jerk back into their lane.

I believe it's a good lesson for them to experience that and how important it was to do proper headchecks.

12. Unless thier attitude changes, nothing will.

If you ever have a close call with as careless driver it is a wake up call. Coz if you dont change the way you ride, you may not be so lucky next time. We should always think how we can avoid allowing ourselves to be in a situation where a car driver can do us harm.

Cheers

13. better yet if she is blonde and sexy , i will take her for a ride .
    dont want you doing your plates for something like this :LOL:
    arghhh the sacrafices we make :LOL:

14. And if that does not work there are plenty of other big bike riders who will help re-educate her in the correct manner to control a motorvehicle.

hehehehehehehehehehe :D :D :D

15. She went on VTRBobs bike.. that was pretty scary, half due to the fact that she had to hang onto Bob. Ewww

16. I think you nailed it,
    Forever a ditsy driver i think.

17. Oh i remember that ride too !
    had to stop bc she complained of a "numb" bum after only 20 mins of city rideing !!

and im not going to mention the screaming from the back seat either!!

and i was sitting on or below the posted limits !!

Not like Eswens friend who made the comment " he rides slow dont he !"
    When those lights turned green ...... so did she :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    and we never mentioned Bob and slow again that night

:LOL: :twisted: :LOL:

18. It was a crowbar, from memory...

19. Thanks IK. It's a great film.

"Why do you get so angry all the time?"
    "I like it."
    "You need a hobby."
    "It is a fcuking hobby." :LOL: