Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to become a motorbike mechanic !?!?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Badsi, Jun 12, 2008.

1. I have been thinking about that foe the last few months .. I would love to undertake a course which teaches you how to fix bikes etc. :) I have been doing managing/hospitality stuff and I am really sick of it .. Anybody knows any good schools in Melbourne for it? I would not even mind to do a long course if nessecary :) It seems like that the job might be intresting and well paid as well :twisted:

2. Get a cert 2 automotive (pre apprenticeship) certificate - a one year course part time, and is the equivalent to taking a year off the apprenticeship (credits towards your cert 3.) Then, drop your resume to your favourite local bike shops. The more qualifications you can bring with you, talk up your customer service skills, etc, the better. :)

Three years later, you're a fully qualified mechanic.

3. Yep! Exactly what I'm doing, pre-apprenticeship course in Automotive, and I am doing work experience as part of the TAFE course (NSW), and working in the workshop at the local Honda dealer. My employer is now trying to put me on as an apprentice after 6 months of work experience once a week now, but was originally doing a couple days a week in my own time before TAFE started.

I'm loving it!

(Only thing I'm not loving is having to do my 2nd and 3rd year courses in Sydney, a 3 hour drive from south of Nowra, but I'm loving what I'm doing, so it's totally worth it) :cool:

Oh and make sure you convince the employer you're a good worker, as most places have bad experiences with young people, which puts them off letting anyone work for them. Exactly the problem at where I'm working, though my dad convinced them otherwise (who got me the work experience while buying some Honda parts, I had no idea until he got home and told me I was starting on Tuesday at 9am).

But yeah, I'm addicted to bikes, and I just love working with them.

4. Seek or somewhere like that had 3 positions for apprenticeships with Peter Stevens last week when I was on there.

5. You buy an old Triumph.

6. Hyosung would be cheaper. Mind you, unlike the Trumpy, it'd still be a worthless heap when you'd finished with it. :grin:

7. Just a quick note to remember it isn't all skittles and boobs.

Be prepared for your hands to be constantly covered in crap, in pain with thousands of nicks and chunks taken out of them. You'll work long hours, deal with complete retards like me and work on some of the daftest designed technology out there.

You'll also find that the final pay rate isn't that great compared to other trades. In fact, it's bloody low compared to if you were a fitter machinist, boilermaker or sparkie.

And watch out, it could also kill your love of bikes a bit. While it's great to pull apart your head on the weekend, doing it 9 hours a day for an absolute pittance might do your head in.

BUT

If you want to do it, go for it. One thing's for certain, you'll never struggle to find a job again for the rest of your life!

8. The beauty is you can finish the course and then see if you like to work in the industry ;)<The course takes 'just' 12 months> If not u just take the knowledge back home and use it for 'fun' on weekends :) Just gotta find a good school in Melbourne .. I has been hard to find good places to study for the last years .. Anyway thanks for responses guys :cool:

9. my local bike shop sends theyre mechanics interstate sometimes to catch up on the latest tech etc. and on the odd occasion one or two of them get sent overseas to factories to get first hand knowledge from the dudes who build the machines,so if your lucky enough to work in the right place then its something to look forward to i guess.

10. be prepared to spend alot of money, Books (read them!) , take old bikes apart, try to understand what sumthing does, change things here and there, have tools!. read some more, talk to bike dudes, ride outs, crash your bike and fix it, or do maintenance on your own bike and see wat you can improve with what you've studied or learnt,

its not a things for you if you only want to do it for 1 year andthen quit bcoz it completely steals your life away from fun and party. bcoz you'll be working late hours and be too tired to go out.

and if you are working in a workshop watch out for a learner rider reversing out of the workshop and crash into the gate because he's in a rush to ride out.. *thats wher your disposable tools comes into play like a boomerang*

i've always wanted to be one or learn about it wen i started riding but i though about it again that, i just cannot do it .. i can learn a few things here and there but wouldnt have the ethics to keep reading books and not that much money to support the road of knowledge.

11. well there you go...siwanut reckons you should crash yer bike and fix it!
    maybe im missing out on some valuable mechanical knowledge by staying upright. :p

12. Probably true .... but the way the oil supply is going I reckon you're best doing an electrical apprenticeship .... that way you'll be ready for the electric bikes ... :wink:

13. Very right mate!

:grin:

14. well paid, lol
    crappy apprentice wages for 4 years, spend 5 to 10k on tools, 2 to 3k on tafe and books and come out the other end earning about the same as a kid who left school at 16 and became a tyre fitter with no qualifications.

if your passionate and genuinely interested go for it, great skills to be learnt but if your after money other trades have a lot better oportunities.

15. That's my plan if I get sick of bikes :LOL:

And yeah, I know it is not all great. Getting covered in grease and petrol, (and shit on some of the quad bikes that come in from farms :LOL: ) but I'd rather do something I enjoy than something with a bit more money, but hating it. Money's not the most important thing to me, anyway. But once you have your trade you can start your own business and earn a fair bit of money.

My TAFE teacher told us that employers charge customers $120 an hour labour (cars, don't know if it's more or less for bikes) and then the employee that does the job gets paid only a fraction of that.

Plus yeah, the knowledge stays with you for the rest of your life, and will help you with your own bikes, and you can charge your mates to do jobs for 'em.

My work experience employer told me that I'm so far ahead of other kids that come in, probably because I've been tinkering with bikes ever since I started riding when I was 7 years old (11 years ago). My dad has taught me so much, and he was building car engines in his early teens (he learnt from his dad). So I guess its in my blood. I did some work experience at school a few years ago with a place that specializes in electric motors, and I have to say there was way more grease and oil in it than I expected (I'd say it would come close to motorcycles, if not more) and after 5 days in there, I did not enjoy it.