Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to be a professional racer

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by abvc, Apr 24, 2007.

1. I am very interested to be a prof. racer. I am wondering how exactly to be one, first of foremost probably what is the lowest bar to know that 'you can be a racer', how to enter a novice race and how to get a race bike for the novice race? and obviously cost..

2. How old are you, and what background do you have in motorsport, if any?

Why do you want to be a racer?
  3. 23. 24 this yr.

because i think this is my dream.
  4. Open them legs and let them balls drop :p :LOL:
  5. wow nice site. thanks! :LOL:

6. I think its every sports riders dream :)
  7. If it's any inspiration, Troy Bayliss didn't start club racing until he was 23. So the sky's still the limit if you apply yourself, even at this late stage.
  8. There could be a factory Yamah ride on offer next year. Just offer them your services...
  9. How much do you know about the industry?

If you can be up to speed and winning races in a year or two, then it means you may have the natural talent that will allow you to bypass the 10 or more learning years you have missed, that many (or most in the higher catagories) of your competitors have. Keep in mind many of the guys riding in World 125GP are 15, 16 and 17 years old. The same goes for the various national 125GP series'.

You'll also need significant financial resources to be able to test as much as possible, and race as much as possible, to gain the seat time and experience. Not only cash, but flexibility of time, and be able to make a serious commitment.

It will be a tough battle, but as Cathar pointed out, there are exceptions to the rule.

However, I believe Bayliss used to race bikes of some sort when he was in his teens?

Anyway, Max Biaggi never rode a motorbike before he was 18. Got one as a gift from his parents and was club racing within a year.
  10. Rossi getting the sack? :LOL: :wink:
  11. The first thing to do is get yourself a track or race bike and join a club.

Go along to some meets and talk to the racers, there's a good club (MRRDA) meet on at Winton May 12-13, this will give you a good idea of what to expect.

I would suggest starting in the 400 or 125 (depending on your size) classes. 600 is okay, but is quite a bit more expensive to be competitive in. Any prepped bike will do fine for a track bike, but track bikes and race bikes can be quite different animals.

Track and race bikes:

I'm in exactly your position (have the race bikes, just bought a van).

Disregard any snide comments on here from others about wanting to reach the top (I'm sure a 20yo Bayliss would have copped the same if he had of started this thread...).

As long as you give it a go you'll have nothing to be disappointed about.
  12. do you know how much is a brand new rs 250r or rs 125r?

is there a better option to bring a race bike other than buying a van..?

i am going to visit PI this weekend and find some inspiration :grin:

13. They don't make the RS250 anymore, but you can still buy the RS125 new for around $9250. Why not just get into bucket racing if there is such thing anymore...
  14. Thumbs up for having not just the ambition, but the drive to do something about it. [​IMG]

All the best.

15. Good luck, if you never try you'll never know.

There is a difference between a professional racer and achieving World domination. You also need to define 'Professional'. There are lots of professional racers who don't make a fantastic living out of this, but it's their job (they may have others to supplement their income) and it's what they train to do. With drive, ambition, lots of luck and some cash, who knows, maybe we'll be saluting you in a few years time and all basking in your reflected glory.

Have a think about your goals and set out to achieve them. As long as you are having fun, who cares if you don't end up as World Champ. Life is for living, so do it!
  16. I read somewhere that they still have some honda rs250's new in japan warehouses. Expensive to maintain, top end rebuild after 200kms (700usd), Crank every 3 races(2500), Spark plugs are like 100 each. Race 2smoke oil.

Thats the cost of racing a 100hp, 95kg, killer machine. Capable of 250km/h plus.

If u plan on racing these, u are gonna need a bank manager to support u. Costly process, but would be oh so FUN. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Was looking at a second hand Yamaha TZ250 race bikes around 1995 models, they were around 6k-10k, full race prepped and full spares for atleast anothe 10races.[/quote]
  17. Umm, no. A new Honda RS125R is around $17,000. That is without any kit parts. $9-10k will get you an '02 bike which is mostly factory original. You can get an '02 - '04 powervalved Yammie TZ125 with spares for around the same price.
  18. A trailer is an alternative, but a van is the best way.
  19. are the 02 rs/tz brand new?the price looks more reasonable than the 07 rs 125. do you know where i can find them? honda/yammie dealer?