Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to avoid speeding fines?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Mr Owl PhD, Apr 21, 2016.

1. I know there will be an almost irresistible urge to answer 'don't speed'. Please resist ;¬0

I generally keep close to the speed limit, but I am fearful of getting done by a speed camera for a minor indiscretion like overtaking then getting radared before I slow back down. Or getting done for being marginally over the limit in an area that is well known for having a speed camera. I know this will vary from State to State so I just mean Brissy.

Particularly on the motorways like the M1, forgetting about patrol cars, and the occasional marked 'speed camera signs', I have no idea how heavily monitored they are. I'm not talking about anything outrageous but I often find myself driving along at say 103 on the motorway marked at 100 but I'll lose concentration occasionally and I'll find myself in the 115 area briefly.

Are there any tips or special things that, being fairly new to Brisbane, that I should be wary of. If it's just a simply case of bad luck, well that's life, but if it's something that would have been blindingly obvious to a local that would be useful. Apologies if this is a dumbass post.

2. cruise control, james bond rotating number plate, radar detector, ride a 50cc scooter, etc...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Accepted.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Got bluetooth, and GPS/phone with GPS app? Many of them have audible warning to alert you if you go above the limit.
    On L/P the unit can be stashed safely away out of sight and still deliver the audio.
  5. Given I have lost 7 points in under 12 months, I've got to pull my head in big time (mind you one of those 3-pointers was the alleged crossing of the centreline which I didn't cross).

So I too would like to know the answer to this one. :p
  6. Dang, that's a few too many! Besides the line crossing where they fixed or mobile cameras?
  7. Don't speed!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I baked my plate back in the late 80s.
    Cameras are too good these days.

Not much you can do other than not speed for the random cameras. But I feel like I know where all the fixed ones are in Melb.

Random camera cars are not random for everyone...
  9. Use all your senses. Don't just look but listen too, and feel.
    I honestly can't understand how people can drift over the limit without knowing. I'm not saying I don't speed, but if I do it's deliberate. If you are paying attention it's not hard to keep a constant speed
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I can't comment on the local conditions there. I drive in Queensland a few times a year but since I don't know the roads I tend to be sticking close to the posted advisories and I'm usually in a hire car anyway.

There are a few generalized things that I find help. The first is technology is your friend here as mentioned above. Secondly check you speedo for error, it is not uncommon to have speedos reading high by up to 10km/hr at highway speeds. GPS is useful for this but it needs to be done on a flat straight section of road. GPS units can be inaccurate on hills and curves which can get you in trouble if you rely on them instead of the speedo. Knowing how far out your speedo is doesn't mean that you have to necessarily push your speed higher on the dial, but it may reduce your anxiety about drifting a few km/hr over your planned speed. Third, choose a lower gear and the higher revs will make it feel like you're going faster which tends to remind you to slow down. On a GS500 depending on the gearing, that 5000 rpm buzz can be used like a speed alarm. Fourth, try popping your visor when you come off the freeway. The increased noise level tends to make it feel like you're going faster. Fifth, try keeping your wrist down. It's a physical limitation to how far you can wind on the throttle, poor man's cruise control. Or in my case, Scotsman's cruise control. :)

Lastly, is managing your mental state, so that you're alert and focused on the task at hand. Take regular breaks to ensure that you are maintaining concentration and manage your fatigue. If something pisses you off, stop, have a break and calm down. Riding cranky is a great way to lose track of your speed and not having your head in the ride a speeding ticket is then the least of your worries. Riding when you're pissed off also tends to make you ride like an utter c0ck, which can then see cops using a small speed infringement as an excuse to pull you over when they might otherwise let it go if you were riding sensibly otherwise.
  11. For starters, I don't consider this a dumb question. What's wrong with us sharing ideas on how to limit our exposure to the government coffer collectors - I think it's a great question...

Here's a few thoughts - to open this up for more discussion. I could be wrong with these, or other people might have better suggestions, but FWIW:

Be Paranoid - The person watching out for cars on the side of the road or things 'out of the normal' tend to break because of paranoia - even if they're not speeding. This can be the difference between a fine and not. As a person who used to speed tonnes when I was younger, I have developed a watchful eye. On contrast - those who never intentionally speed have racked up camera fines because of their 'mistakes'. Me being paranoid haven't had a camera fine ever. :)

Know where the camera's are and use the odd's - Knowing where fixed camera's are (or places where mobile camera's frequent) - will significantly reduce your chances to mostly being pinged by a cop instead. There are far more fines generated by camera's than police.

Use Technology - as FB has already mentioned - GPS and intercom can warn you where camera's are, and also bleep if you start going over the speed limit. I've used a program called copilot on my phone which helps me if I start to drift over the limit...

Overtaking - is a tricky one. Going faster and getting around quicker (and then breaking back to the limit) limits your exposure / opportunity to get caught. The other side to that coin is that if you do get pinged, the fine will be heavier than if you take longer to get around. Keep in mind (at least in Vic) that the difference between a 111kph fine, and a 124kph fine is nil...

There are other techniques that can be used when traveling in a group that can limit your exposure as well, but that might be out of the scope of the OP. (Although probably still worth discussing) :)

ie: I've talked to some riders who will ride off at 120kph and be 'bait', so other riders can come up behind at slightly faster speeds and know that if there is police ahead that they will be exposed by the lead rider.

Disclaimer: I don't endorse breaking the law - and the above is for educational purposes only. :)
  12. ie: I've talked to some riders who will ride off at 120kph and be 'bait', so other riders can come up behind at slightly faster speeds and know that if there is police ahead that they will be exposed by the lead rider.

Disclaimer: I don't endorse breaking the law - and the above is for educational purposes only. :)[/QUOTE]

funny if they drove a mazda
  13. Any car on the side of the road causes me to brake until I can confirm it isn't a camera car!
    • Agree Agree x 5
  14. As sad as it is, the more time your on the road the more your odds go up.Nobody said big numbers, 10 and 15ks,crime of the century stuff.
  15. no one got my joke?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. I do the M1 from the Coast to Brisvegas and back at least once a week and often much more than that, and have had no fines in 3 years.

Most of that is just situational awareness: knowing the fixed cameras, knowing the most common haunts of the patrol cars and bikes and the mobile cameras and so on, traveling with the traffic, keeping 360 degree awareness of what's around me, knowing things like if a lot of cars brake half a km ahead for no apparent reason it may well be a radar, stuff like that. Certain amount of luck, too, of course, but given the number of hours/kms I accumulate, it seems to be working
  17. You often see cars braking hard when they pass a speed trap or a camera car. So aside from the associated "wave effect" that can then propagates back through traffic and is a hazard in itself, it's useful to be looking way up the road for cars braking for no apparent reason.

[EDIT] Sorry Bravus, you beat me to it while I was typing.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Zoom Zoom ?
  19. Or one slogan back "Get a mate, get a mazda ?"

Now that's funny.
  20. Mazda-bait! Had to re-read it before I got what u were gettin at
    • Winner Winner x 1