Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to avoid Diesel on road

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by WantFreedom, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Hi Guys,

I have never had this happen to me so wanted to ask for advice as when I make my way overseas to ride motorbike I imagine this could be a serious hazard for me and its something that you can't really practice happening so the more knowledge I can get the better I may be able to handle a situation if it happens.

Is there anyway to notice that Diesel is on the road if in a straight line? I imagine if coming around a bend its near impossible and if I do hit a patch of Diesel what would be the best way to avoid coming off the bike?

Any advice you guys can provide me with would be most appreciated.

2. i have no idea as i am a dirt bike rider, but i am sure that the same principle would apply, just slow down and be cautious, hope you enjoy your ride overseas, where you goin?
  3. Basically the best way not to come off on diesel is to not ride.

It's bloody slippery.
  4. it stinks. Usually I smell it before I see it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. If you can smell diesel you obviously ride with a better class of rider than the ones on my rides
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I'm planning on riding Northern Thailand into Laos back to Northern Thailand so a loop, Cambodia and Vietnam and maybe Sumatra so trying to read alot of trip reports and just reading one about a guy riding on Diesel and come off so got me thinking I should try learn how to best counter the situation if it happens here is the extract from another forum:

'I was only going very slowly as I could see diesel all over the place, any way I came slowly round this left hand bend and that that it the front went straight from underneath me' He did mention it was also wet conditions so I imagine that didn't help!
  7. #7 Wheres me Boike, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    You need to ascertain the conditions of whatever road you are riding on.
    Find a very slippery spot, and slow down to 10kph, and hit the front brake hard. This will give you an idea of grip.
    Regardless what Road you are riding on, it's better to find out how much grip is there the safe way, or you may end up kissing Bitumen.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. if you come across diesel or any other slippery shit its important not too panic and touch the brakes
    ease your way off the line of the spill and be gentle on your controls until you are clear
  9. And it's most common where it gets sloshed around in the fuel rank. So expect it on bends, especially 'rollover corners' and bus stops and places where trucks and buses are changing direction. And more common near to depots while the tanks are still overfull

I would have said you can see it mostly as wet spots in the dry and refelective colours in the puddles when it's wet but maybe not till it's too late to completely avoid. And as WombleWomble says you can smell it though that may also come a bit late...
  10. If diesel or other oil is on the road and there is other traffic and the weather is fine (yes that's a lot of qualifiers) the slick will have feathered edges which makes it look quite different to water on the road. This is from tyre tracks from other vehicles crossing the slick and the much slower evaporation of oil compared to water.
    This certainly saved my neck one day when I was working for Mortlock Suzuki (1976 I think).
    I was returning to the shop and saw the dark stripe up the road and thought 'water on the road'.
    Got closer and saw it wasn't but had to cross it anyway to get back to the shop so pulled the clutch and didn't touch anything as I crossed the oil. The little Suzi squirmed around but remained sufficiently upright by the time I was off the slippery stuff.
    In the next few minutes about half a dozen bikes went down, the most serious being the rider of a 500 Honda who was expected to die (but didn't) of head injuries from the towball of a parked car.
  11. if you are riding in a straight line, everything balanced... then diesel shouldn't be such a big issue? you could ride on snow and still stay upright.

I thought people often blame "diesel" on the road for their SVA's? :D
    if you do lose traction, go with the slide...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. WTF?
  13. I'm pretty sure my incident wasn't diesel. I had a look at it at the time and it seemed like a heavy gear oil although I could be wrong.
    One story I heard at the time was that the oil was dropped by a council truck but again, this could be wrong.
  14. The reality is that you will come off. It could be diesel on the road, gravel on a blind bend, Great Dane bounding from the footpath, driver that doesn't see you, or just fangin' too hard. Look, think, learn, fall off, get up, repeat. If you're unsure then slow down and concentrate. Read all of the advice above, below and every other message on this forum, but in the end you will have to work it out for yourself.
    Remember it's only your ego pushing you too hard into a corner.
    Moral: prepare to fall.
    Have a great trip.
  15. Main thing is observation and riding to the distance you can see. Its not common although the "oil on road" signs that are a bit too common show it does happen but gets cleaned up.
  16. It is exceptionally rare to have enough diesel on the road to cause a problem. When people say "the spilled diesel made me crash", what really happened is "Messed it up and crashed, had a look back at the crash scene and maybe a week or two ago a teaspoon full of diesel got spilled, so I will blame that"

So, it can happen but not often at all. Look for dark patches of road surface esp on bends or roundabouts near fuel stations.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Has happened to me twice in the last 5 years in the melbourne suburbs, can't really say if that is "exceptionally rare"

I've managed to spot and avoid the other times.
  18. hell 2 weeks ago in Gisborne there was a diesel spill several kms long down a hill up a hill and around 2 roundabouts. it's not uncommon, hell CFA's out this way respond fairly regularly to clean up spills.
  19. In my case that sweeper was used by locals to practice drifting. The whole bend was coated.