Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to avoid being rear ended

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by ursus, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Yesterday going home from Sydney City Motorcycle in Cogarah I stopped at an intersection seconds after an accident involving a motorcyclist. The rider was standing at the intersection with the intention to turn right, when a small car smashed into him from behind. Luckily - at first glance - it seems that the guy got away without serious injuries.

What are the tactics to avoid such thing? Visibility, of course, is an obvious answer. But I think the driver of the small car spaced out and would probably smashed into a truck anyway, if it happened to be there instead of the motorcycle. What do you do?

2. I have to make a right hand turn at a pretty hairy place each morning going into work, I find indicating early and slowing well before making my intentions clear to those behind me, and i keep an eye on my mirror for anyone approaching to quick that may not stop, and i am ready to punch it if need be...

Of course i could find somewhere safer to to turn right as well, bu that is the risk I take

3. As already said watch your mirrors for cars coming up quickly and be ready to move. I personally try to stay off centre so I can dart left or right if need be.

4. I was almost rear-ended yesterday on my way to work. I was stopped in a queue of traffic, sitting in first gear in the right wheel track pointing at the gap between the car in front and the next lane over to the right. The lane to the right started moving, and in my mirror I saw the Kia Carnival behind me lurch forward. The escape route I'd identified when I stopped was no longer there, because the right hand lane had started moving, so I wouldn't have been able to jump in there had the Kia kept going. As luck would have it, the Kia stopped before he made contact.

Lessons learned:
    1. It's worth keeping super vigilant of the cars behind you when the adjacent lane starts moving.
    2. Have a "Plan B" escape route figured out in case your Plan A becomes unavailable.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stay in first. Watch your mirrors. Leave yourself an escape route and be prepared to use it. You may need to make a choice though, is it safer to take off or stay put....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. iClint's tactics are good ones.

If the traffic light is red ahead, there's no point barrelling up to it and then braking to a stop. You might as well decellerate from well back (it doesn't make your trip any slower) with brake light lit or flashing so you give the traffic behind ample opportunity to spot you. Change position within the lane if you think it will help.

Stop well short of the line if you're first so that you have some space ahead to manouvre.

If you're not first and aren't going to filter, stop well back of the car ahead, two bike lengths as a minimum, this leaves you some "get out of jail" space. Try NOT to stop in a wheel track as this will make YOUR brake light seem part of the car ahead's brake lights.

While stopped and waiting, follow Mick's tactics, but maybe add some brake light flashes to attract attention. Tap out a tune on the brake lever. One old timer told me he taps out "La cucaracha". YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kogarah. It's called Kogarah.

8. Hadn't thought of that. Good point!

9. If I can't hold someone up behind me as a big metal barrier tap the hell out of the brakes, keep one eye on the mirrors and be ready to take off to the left, away from them.

10. Stopping slow is very important, especially if someone's behind you. As soon as you see a stopping situation ahead cut throttle don't break but take up enough break to turn the light on. It works out faster at the end of the day because if the light changes while rolling you still have your speed.

And of course filter if you are confident.

11. And on a lighter note , stay out of gay bars.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. If I'm the at the lights (whether I'm turning or not) and see a cage approaching. I prefer to flash my brake light a number of times to get their attention. Note that this is in addition to being ready with my preplanned escape route of the numb-nut doesn't appear to have grasped that I'm stationary.

Normally the above is only necessary when I've chosen not to filter (which isn't all that often) thus rendering an attack from the rear a real possibility. Having a few stationary one tonne plus boxes of metal behind me greatly reduces the risk of a rogering.

Turning right at an intersection is where I feel most vulnerable though... I have one near my work on a very busy road that I use on rare occasions and I remain vigilant as hell when using it. It's fine when I'm point vehicle but a tad worrying when I'm in last in the queue to turn as escape routes are severely limited.

13. Turning right coming home every day I do a little chicane move, start indicating early and tap on the brakes. I also try to get the car behind me to line up with a space in the left lane. Anybody trying to hit me would be braking uphill too so that gives a bit of extra margin for error.

14. I was trying this Friday p.m. sticking to slightly off-center to avoid the grease (this bike riding stuff is complex) & then remembered that one way I check on a car for brake action is looking for the center brake light & hence should I not obscure that too? Hmm but maybe if someone is trying to be that observant they may notice my boof-head is in the way.

15. This is my no go zone (sorry for the crude american sided picture :p)
    nogo.
    as you can see, there's usually more than enough room on either side of a car to sit without putting yourself in danger from the other lanes. I also find I get a better view of what's happening behind the car that's behind me (chain reaction accidents are always a worry)

I could have it totally wrong, but I feel safer (I will change this of course if I am wrong to sit where I do)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. MadAzz are you saying you sit either side of the box, say lined up for an emergency filter, or just behind the NGZ? I get nervous (paranoid) if I'm too close to the side line. After dropping it in the wet the other day I'm trying to focus on staying well back whether moving or stationary.

17.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I try and stay over to one side. Makes the emergency filter option easier, and hopefully the crashing dingus will have ABS and swerve slightly the other way to avoid me. If you're in the middle it's much harder for them to aim next to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeah that's right and a car length behind and to the side. The lines in the dry are here nor there. ..if you have proper boots you shouldnt slip if you happen to put a foot down on it.

In the wet I change tactics...keeping the same distance behind but I have my bike on somewhat of an angle (pointing to the gap) so I dont put a foot or bike on the line.

If you're watching behind and there is any drama, you should be able to move out of the way without gunning it. If you have to move and go over the line in the wet, then pur your feet down if you're not confident. You should be able to get to 60 in first if need be.

Of course I am still a newbie rider myself, so I could have it all wrong, but it works for me.

20. I like those.