Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to attach tank bag......

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Toecutter, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Yeah I know follow the instructions. Bought magnetic tank bag by mail order and tested it out on filing cabinet at work and it held on much better than I expected.

Get home and realise that despite my tank looking like steel it aint. Must be something to do with my bike supposedly being a dirt bike:p

So hopefully someone has done the same thing - so what are my options;

1 - Sell the bag

2 - Use some good quality velcro on both tank and bag - say at four or six spots. Will the tape damage the paintwork?

3 - I have two pretty good attachment points (where I can use black rubber ockys) pretty much straight under the bag - will two be enough?

Or please shed some of your own experience

Thanks very much in advance
  2. if u are gonna keep the bike for a while, invest in a bagster

most bike shops can order these in for you
  3. 4 - Leave bike at office, ride filing cabinet to work.
  4. On the RS (non-magnetic tank) I attach it with two lengths of soft flat cord. You can get this stuff from outdoor shops. It's used to make climbing slings. I'd avoid hockey straps if you want to keep your bike scratch free.

If you take a look at most bikes there are usually a couple of places where you can pass a piece of cord under the tank. On my bike I use one tie that goes directly around the tank and tank bag. I pass the other cord through the tank bag handle (just above the seat) and down through another gap behind the tank. The front of the bag comes with its own clips that secure it to the steering column thingy. Once you get a system going you can have your bag on and off in just a couple of minutes
  5. Thanks for the suggestions

Cool idea

Chairman, any chance of getting a prototype knocked up for me :p