Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How the hell did this happen?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Fronk, Nov 1, 2011.

1. So, I'm near my home, just past twilight. I'm riding nearby a bowling club and see a car pull up to the road and then stop. You know, the whole 'check to see if anyone is coming' business. I take good notice of this, and have it in my head that there is a car wanting to get onto the road. I'm at a distance where any driver who is awake (Hell, even half asleep) would wait for me. I was also able to see the fellow look at the road, which made me think 'Ah, he's seen me. No worries'.

But no. His green Volvo lurches forward with the pace of a legless sloth. I brake, leave a few rubbery marks on the road and end up stopping my Enfield about a metre from his car.

If he had decided to turn onto the road with more than his little toe on the gas, my braking would have been fine, and just left me with a few small disgruntled thoughts. And he would have been far away.

Instead this fellow decides to stop his effing Volvo mid turn, after I'd stopped. He was covering the lines on the road.

By now, I'm pretty disgruntled. Holding my tongue.

I should have rode off, but he wound down his window (still in the middle of the road, still stopped mid turn) and hollered out 'I didn't see you there! My brother had a bike like that in the sixties! I wouldn't ride myself, it looks too dangerous.'

I was fuming too much to reply. I just stared. It could have been a second, could have been ten.

This arsehat saw me, cut into my lane (me having right of way), stopped, didn't realise he'd nearly killed me, and then had the audacity to tell me about his brother having a bike in the sixties and that motorcycling was too dangerous for him! WTF?

He drove off with a wave, and told me to 'Take care of yourself on that that machine'.

I shall avoid bowling clubs from now on.
  2. Didnt think volvoarians would be awake and on the road any time after sundown.
    Just goes to show day or night those buggers are out to kill everyone
  3. lol
    classic smidsy, driver pulls out in front of bike, sees bike when he's out in front of him then stops in panic.
    try this
  4. What has me miffed is that I could see from the distance (It was only a 50kph street) that he'd looked before he decided to turn, then stop after being 'surprised' at seeing me, and deciding to attempt a chat in the middle of the road.

Perhaps his eyesight wasn't the best. I've avoided so many accidents be looking at the driver ahead; looking at their wheels, trying to see if I'm visible enough, and also doing the manouvre in the previous video (sometimes gets me yelled at for swerving and 'Contol ya bike whydoncha!... Geez) but faaaark.

Ah well.
  5. And obviously he totally missed the irony that riding a bike is mainly dangerous because of people like him. Go figure.
  6. Fronk

Really really really have a good look at the video posted above..
    Particularly the two parts on how small a bike appears in a distance and the background movement...
    no the driver isn't an arshat and there are very good reasons why it happened which sadly isn't covered in any driving test and not used enough times by road authorities adds..

Learn to see things from a cagers point of view regarless of who's at fault and it will go a long way towards avoiding the smidsy dangers...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. it's not uncommon behaviour for elderly drivers.
    some of them are still out there driving around long after they died.
    only modern medicine that keeps their bodies animated to a degree.
    perhaps next time just switch of his ignition and contact his carers to come and collect him.
    likely someone has reported him missing and the local police are aware of it.
  8. I'd always agree that there are things you can do to make yourself more visible and less likely to be involved in a SMIDSY.

I don't agree with your conclusion that the driver isn't an asshat. (Or presumably, that any driver who doesn't see you if you don't weave etc isn't an asshat).

- We don't know the real distances involved.
    - We don't know with what care and attention the fellow was driving.
    - We do know they made comments that would suggest asshattery.
    - We do know they drive a Vovlo.

Sure, it's not certain they're an asshat, but there's a good chance..

9. There are some interesting psychology studies out there about the difference between looking and seeing.
    There's a brilliant one with people mplaying basketball and a gorilla.

Anyway - the way our brain works is that we see what we're expecting to. Or what we're specifically looking for. AND NOT MUCH ELSE

As stupid as it sounds, this guy probably pulled up and thought 'I'd better check if any cars are coming'
    And his brain returned a message that said "Nope, no cars" Which was perfectly correct. And perfectly useless.

You can't fix his brain, but you can make sure you ask yourself the right questions when you look "Is anything coming" "Are there any hazards" "Have I checked everything"

Part of the whole SMIDSY problem is they genuinely didn't see you. because they've trained their brains to look for CARS. Not traffic

well done on keeping it upright and keeping your cool.

Edit: Here's the gorilla study: http://www.livescience.com/6727-invisible-gorilla-test-shows-notice.html

And here's the most valuable part of the research:
    So even paying attention and being ready for things to happen isn't enough.
    You need to focus on turning unexpected events into expected events
    "He's slowed down. There's a driveway ahead. He might turn. If he does, I have options to.... etc"
    Is much better than
    "He's slowed down. Something dangerous could happen here"
  10. Was he wearing a panama (arse)hat ??

Probably had a few shandies at the club and was up for a yarn...
  11. Phil

My point is it doesn't matter whether a driver is or isn't a twat...
    Drivers look but don't see and that's just the facts out there..

Video explains some of the reasons why..
    Best not to get angry, or expect that everyone has to see you because they just don't all the time.
    And the worst thing any rider can do is to expect others to see them..

That was my point.
  12. if you can't look and see and recognise all other road users, then ffs don't pilot a car around out there.
    smidsy just dose'nt excuse a car drivers negligence in todays world. it's an archaic expression from yesteryear. transportation on public roads today comes in ever growing forms, shapes and sizes, notably a huge growing sector of cyclists and powered two wheeled. 5-10 years from now people will be zipping around in plastic eggs powered by their own methane or who knows what. if people still opt to negotiate public roads with a car, then they need to look where they are going.
    it's the car that causes the accident. it's the responsibilty of the individual operating the car to ensure he dose'nt run into things with it. an inabilty to visually recognize all other road users is not acceptable.
    simply because it's just not safe for them to be out on the road amongst other people. a driver that cannot visually recognise a bicycle or a scooter or a jogger or whatever and only sees other cars, is a risk to society.
    a reasonable response from greater society would be to test drivers for this abilty prior to licencing them to operate large and dangerous machinery in public areas.

that said, the swerving from side to side movement, is certainly something i put in to practice daily when neccessary, as the lateral movement is eye catching. just don't let vic plod see you doing it, because they"ll confiscate your bike and have it destroyed. but it does draw attention to you from front and behind, even if to the general publics eye you are being a dangerous hoon for it. at least they notice you.
    theres an expression used in US motorcycle safety circles "get your peacock on" and that's basically what it means.

the fluro vest is pointless. your headlight is hard wired on. a driver that can't see that, won't see what you are wearing behind it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I say well done, your subconscious danger alert has done it's job. Volvo coming out of a bowls club, no doubt after a couple schooners. DANGER DANGER. Had it been a normal car coming out of a driveway, you may not have been so lucky.

The old fella may have been on a conditional license, only allowing him to drive between home, post office, bowls club etc.

It's all very well and good to say he shouldn't have been driving. And it doesn't sound like he should have. But the long dive into senility is so gradual it is hard to say when someone needs to get off the roads. There is already regular testing for people over a certain age, and doctors can recommend that licenses be revoked. It's hard to say what else can be done about it.

Perhaps had you given him a polite serving it would have made him think more about whether he should be driving. But he probably drove off thinking "Oh what a lovely young chap". But it is always hard to think of the best thing to say in these circumstances.
  14. maybe he thought you were on a skateboard...?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I'm tempted to take back my arsehat comment, perhaps he is quite a fine gent.

But I'm certain that an emergency stop with some loud engine braking (in hindsight, I'm actually content about how smooth the stop was, considering the distance and time to react.) and my face looking like a deer caught in the headlights wasn't exactly an invitation for him to slowly open his window whilst stopped half way on both lanes of the road and have a carefree 'conversation' with me.

Arsehat probably wasn't the right word. But we do say/think these things shortly after such occurances.

My headlights were somewhat illuminating his car before he lurched forward. That makes me surprised that I wasn't seen. I would have a very hard time accepting a smidsy excuse if I did colide.

Still, a nice big shot of adrenaline!

It's certainly been one of the strangest of my near accidents.