Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how the f@#k do i get the bar ends off the bastard??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by zumanity, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ok..i have a cbr 125 and want to change the grips.
    i cant for the life of me get the friggin bar ends off!!

they have a phillips head screw in the end of them but i cant budge it.

any help is most appreciated
  2. May or may not be of use for you, but I have used a rattle gun on my bikes for removing the bar ends , as the screws where loctited on.
  3. impact driver with phillips head bit, and a hammer.
  4. You can try soaking them in hot water and make sure you use the right size screw driver - it needs to be the perfect fit.
    When you get them out I hear some people replace the phillips head screws with allen key bolts or the like.
  5. if you remove the grips, you may find a little pin that needs to be pushed down so you can slide out the bar end and weight.
    You need to loosen the screw first though.
  6. thanks guys.
    all sorted now.
    im amazed about the weight of the bar ends!!
    are they that heavy for counter weights?
  7. Dampens vibration in the bars is the primary reason.

Bar end weights could possibly reduce or calm tank slappers... Inertia of a greater mass slowing reciprication.... it would be a double edged sword if you subscribed to that theory though. a greater mass is harder to stop as well as start.

If you drop your bike there is a possibility that the protruding weights may protect your levers, (even your hands/fingers) in some instances.
  8. thanks griffon.
    could you tell me what you mean by a tank slapper? :oops: :)
  9. The 'Tank Slapper'

Usually at high speeds, when the weight is taken off the front wheel by the power of the rear and thus causing the front handle bars to slap the tank from side to side as the front wheel tries find its straight line again.

How this can happen on a tiny CBR125 though is beyond me. I think the bar ends are there simply to reduce vibration.
  10. haha ramjet i think it would be impossible to say the least for that to happen on the 125!!!

thanks for the info though! :grin:
  11. Literally slap the tank (with the handlebars) - overstated, but combinations of worn or loose steering head bearings, worn tyres, temporary weight bias, road surface conditions can certainly bring on the occasional shake in almost any bike, if only briefly, maybe only a couple of oscillations, most times. If pronouced and regular and sustained, perhaps one or more of these things need looking at.
  12. #12 Sweeris, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015