Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How secure is an unattended top box?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by jawntybull, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I'm thinking of getting a lockable top box like the Givi E460N to hold my helmet, jacket and boots when I park in the city (Sydney). I go to business meetings and currently carry all my gear in with me. I normally park in pretty visible places during the daytime, for example the dedicated bike parking bays.

Can anyone share their experiences with lockable top boxes, particularly how secure they are?

2. Id imagine i could get one open within 3 seconds with the right tool.

rangeing from the correct lock pick , bent screwdriver, crow bar and finally a sledge hammer
  3. I can't help you much, I'm afraid. I have a small Ventura 'box' that isn't lockable at all and I've never lost anything from it. That said, I don't have to park in the CBD of a city, where, it's alleged, they'll take the gold fillings out of your teeth if you leave your mouth open for too long.....
  4. With anecdotal evidence/advice it'd probably be hard to work out how secure they are.

FWIW, I don't know that I've read or heard of hard luggage on a motorcycle being tampered with.... but I'm sure there have been cases.

At the end of the day, I don't have any second thoughts about leaving my gear in the topbox when the bike's parked in a public place. I've looked at Givi's rack design and box design, and frankly the only way it's coming off is with a handheld drill or an angle grinder.

I say, don't worry about it. Get the topbox and go nuts.

I will say, though, I'm not sure you could get your helmet, jacket and boots into the topbox. I have the E52 and have difficulty fitting much more than my helmet, gloves and jacket.

It can store an increeeedible amount of soft clothing and other junk though. :)
  5. I've never had one tampered with - but let's face it, if somebody wants to get into it, they will.
  6. I recommend investing in a really bad tempered ferret. :grin:
  7. there's plenty of those to be found around here :eek: :LOL:
  8. Seriously though, I'd be dubious about leaving my gear locked in a top box or pannier, although I'd consider each situation on its merits. Short time, busy public place, maybe. Overnight in the inner city, probably not.

Back in the bad old days, when I lived in one of the UK's more habitually criminal cities, I quite regularly had my (not very secure) top box rifled. Not that there was ever anything in there apart from half a bottle of two stroke oil and a copy of Trading Post. As a result, I tend to be a little cautious.
  9. I've never had mine tampered with, though I have found that any other extraneous bits on a bike will be pilfered: for instance a $2 watch I glued in place!
  10. They can be gotten into. All it takes is a screw driver forced into the seem and pushed up to break/force the locking tab out of place and it's open.

But they count as being locked so if somebody does break into one and steals your gear, it would be claimable on insurance. Some insurance companies won't cover a helmet for example if its stolen when it was left sitting on the rear view mirror not "locked" to the bike.

I've had top boxes on the back of my scoots and never had anybody try to break into one though I had to break into my myself, hence why I know how easy it is.
  11. I don't think leaving your bike in a public place with a lockbox is safe anymore. Today, for example, three 14-16 year old kids were going from bike to bike (sitting on them and moving them) in Sydney on York Street (under the overpass). They were also fidgeting with lockboxes.

'Some' people dont seem to care who sees them doing what. I asked the kids what the f they were doing and they simply told me to f off and went to the next bike!

I'd carry everything with me I could
  12. Back in my day youngins respected their elders.
  13. Did you tell them anything for doing this?