Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How old is too old for a GS500F?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Ausfox, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Simple question everyone.
    How old, therefore klms, is too old for a GS500F?
    Thanks Ausfox.
    P.S. Pre learners on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

2. Depends, but the answer is lots.

My GS500 has clocked up 15000kms and its only just starting to loosen up. I dare say 100000km out of a GS500 would be easily acheived, and possibly even double that if well looked after.
  3. Seen as the GS500 hasn't really changed in 20 years I think you can eliminate "age" as a possible reason for getting/avoiding one. So I'd say general maintenance and kilometres would be your deciding factors.
  4. That's what I was getting at. Hence the "therefore kilometres" bit.
  5. Then TRA gave you the best answer.
  6. I'd pay far more attention to the general condition of the bike, how well it runs and what it feels like on the test ride, than what the odometer says. Exactly how many km it's done or how old it is, is less important than how well it's been maintained and looked after.
  7. Suzuki four-strokes are massively tough. Given reasonable care (read: regular oil changes) the GS500 lump should last 150,000 kms without major attention.

Being a budget commter/learner bike the standard of finish on the GS is a bit cheap though. However, this can be used to advantage on the basis that, if the previous owners have put in enough effort to keep the bike looking good, chances are they haven't skimped on other maintenance.