Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How Often Should I Change My Oil On A Old Bike?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by mattcooper, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Hey
    I just bought a CBR250RR 93 Model with 439647 K's on the clock. I am a complete newbie to the bike game.

How often should I change the oil on the bike? I just did my first oil change on it today.

Thanks guys

2. The more often the better. Owners manual probably quotes something like every 5,000kms - that should be considered the absolute maximum. Ideally you'd want to change it more often, like every 2,500kms, if you want the most life from the engine (assuming it isn't already rooted). If you are changing the oil that often you can usually get away with only doing the filter every second change, otherwise be sure to replace it everytime you do the oil. If money's no object use the fancy synthetic stuff - otherwise it's far better to use a cheaper oil and change it more often (just avoid the really cheap stuff). Of course things like how often you ride, how you ride it, the sort of temperature changes and environmental conditions (eg dust) it's exposed to etc. etc. all affect how often the oil needs to be changed.

3. Great Thanks!!!!

4. The oil filter should be changed every time oil is changed. The filter is what holds all the crap and keeps the oil free of solid contaminents. I would never change oil without changing the filter. What does a filter cost? $10-$20?

5. ^^^^Agree and disagree at the same time....

The filter is very important. That said, if your service intervals are 5000ks, and at 2500ks you just dump the oil for some fresh stuff, and do a proper change every 5000 as recommended, it's still better for the engine.

I've always done it that way, especially with more modern bikes where the intervals are getting longer and longer. It also depends on your riding style too. Do you do lots of cold stop-starting rides? If so, change more regualrly. Do you do less than one service interval in 6 months? If so, then change at 6 months, even if you have only done 1000ks. Do you do lots of properly warmed up, long highway miles? Then you can probably get away with stretching the intervals.

6. No the filter is just what stops the larger particles from getting back into the engine and doing more damage - the finer solids are suspended in the oil (which is why it changes to a darker colour and why it needs to be changed regularly). No harm in changing the filter more often but it isn't really needed - if you're getting that many +20 micron particles (abut the size of the larger holes in a paper filter) that the filter is choked in just 2,500kms then your engine has very serious problems.
    If you're really concerned look into an aftermarket oil filter - one that uses something other than paper as a filter media. Though be aware that these do restrict oil flow which in turn affects engine oil pressure (they work well though, I have one in my car).
    Edit: Why in the world is a unit of measurement, and brand of motorcycle exhaust, considered a swear word by the forum filter :???????

7. Hey Guys.. Im not worryed about changing the filter every oil change thats fine its only like 8 dollars..

I might change the oil every 2500k as I ride the bike really hard.. But never do long distances.

8. Something else, if you ride a baby blade hard and want to get whatever performance you can out of it, give it fresh plugs every 5000 and a carby synch as well. They are so fussy that every time bit makes a difference

9. Hey thanks... whats a carby synch?

10. There are plenty of others who could give you a better technical answer but....

Basically, they hook up a set of gauges to They then adjust the carbs to get the same air flow through across all carbs, for more efficient running.

Little cibbies are so highly strung that the slightest variation (which naturally happens over time normally) can cause a noticable drop in performance. Likewise with the spark plugs, because the thing revs twice as high as a bike like my Bandit 1200, and sustained revs at up to 3 times higher, they wear out much quicker