Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how often do you?...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by russ, Feb 28, 2005.

1. the whole motorcycling is dangerous and reading a few posts about minor or major incidents involving riders fault made me wonder.

how often do you bugger it up while riding?
    i.e. in a year of riding say the spurs or GOR etc how often - if ever - do you find yourself in the immigration office for pain city?

so far I've made two mistakes that, if circumstances had been different, would have lead to pain (e.g. ending up on the wrong side of a blind corner after a car cut the white line and I hit the accelerator too early after compensating my road position). They've both occurred in non-built up areas - I'm super cautious in traffic.

a lot of comments are made to the effect "remember the learning experience the incident provides and move on..." which is undoubtedly important but it strikes me as a painful learning method given how much there is to learn...

just thinking out loud here

2. I bugger it up on average twice per ride. Riding on the road, I'm fairly safe, but pushing myself in runs up and down mt dandenong, usually I've always found something that I didn't like in my skill. Such as split second hesitations, or I didn't lean the correct way, or I misjudge entry speed.

Every single issue which arises during my ride pisses me off, and I try very hard to correct it. There are times for which I've been riding in twisties for a full day, and felt I did not do a single error or mistake. Those are the days I've happy with myself. But that just meant that next time, I need to take it harder, faster.

So for me riding, is just the continuous goal for perfection. Doesn't mean I'll ever get there, but that feeling you get when you know you're improving really wants to make you take it further.

3. last year i buggered it up once, coming out of turn 2 at philip island doing around 150km/h and low sided, although on the road i ride fast, and am a frequent visitor of the GOR, i did not bugger up once last year, but did it once this year by running a fraction wide coming out of a corner (i went onto the white line) too me that is running wide (the oncoming ferrari had a nice view of it) :)

4. I always assess my riding. Even if I think I did well I look back and want to know why I think I did well (if I understand why then I am more able to repeat the action in another but similar situation, rather than just trying to repeat my actions).

As for buggerring up - do that alot. Most of my mistakes are very minor. Things that I notice I could have done a bit better in that context (again I try to understand why I made this mistake, and not simply be satisfied with knowing what mistake I made - it is not possible to fix that mistake if you don't know what led up to that mistake). Could be as simple as asking myself why I was riding in that position on the road when a better one was offerred to me elsewhere...

I have had 2 places where I seriously buggerred up. One resulted in a low-slide, the other didn't cause any hardship (fortunately).

It is all in the process of improving!

5. I got my m/cycle licence in 1987.
    Riding from 1987 to 2001 I never dropped it. Commuting, multi-day rides, Group rides, track days & 5x different road rego’ed bikes (Kawasaki KLR650, KLX650, Zephyr750, CBR600 & Duc 748). Since 2001 I’ve dropped it 3x times, all on the Ducati, all at speeds less than 30kms/hr, all virtually on my own (1x was avoiding a taxi, but I could’ve saved it).

I personally believe that you can go your whole m/cycle riding life without dropping it if you don’t commute ( ‘cause peak hr traffic will hunt you down in the end). It may sound farcical to many out there who ride, but it’s a goal everyone of us should be gunning for.

6. I bought my bike with a top priority of commuting. Marx, your post just outright scares me !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

7. Currently if I can do a ride without stuffing up a single corner (wrong line, too fast, wide on exit) then I'm a happy bunny. Most of it is down to practice of course.

When I can do that I'll just speed it up a bit and try to achieve the same target.

8. ive been riding on the road (legally) for 16 years The first 10 I didn't own a car and rode everywhere-and still do most of my travelling on either my MTB or m/cycle. And have made sooooo many fookin errors it is not so funny. Errors are what teach us. If you drop the bike due to an error, hopefully you live to ride again and learn from the experience. I think i've gone bitumen surfing about..... ( thinks.. hit a pub, hit a statesman, hit a road barrier, hit a white reflector post, slid down a cliff, surfed roundabout) 10 times! Each one has been something i learnt from!

9. 10 times in 16 years and you say you've learnt something?
    Sounds like you learnt how to crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:LOL: :p

10. :shock: :shock: :shock: how do you hit a pub ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

11. A car went through a stop sign an to avoid hitting him i ended up on the sidewalk and into the wall of the bull and mouth pub. :?
    Lucky thing was that i didn't need to go far to get a beer to calm my nerves :p

12. It would be nice to have a day where I didn't.

13. I practiced falling off trail bikes for 20 years before hitting the road and pretty well decided that major stuffups were to be avoided. To date I've only been injure once about 3-4 years ago when I was T-boned by a car that forgot to give way. i managed to keep the bike upright, but chipped my knee and ended up wishing I'd been wearing something stronger on my legs than jeans (won't do that again). In similar situations now with heavey traffic I tend to go a lot slower. I was just under the limit at the time, but now feel more cautious in traffic is better.

As for my riding in general, I'm pretty particular and critical of myself so I usually give myself a talking to if my line's not perfect or I brake a little late etc.. every ride. none the less I found that after 6 months on L's I had the bike sorted and under control, thus I don't have big errors that often. Mabey once or twice a year I do something that frightens me. Mind you, it's not that I'm a goode rider, cause I'm not. I just like to keep things sensible and ride with the intention of doing it again the next day.

Oh yeah, when I was about 15-16 I thought it'd look great if I took my mates bike over a 20 foot dam wall at 80km but landed in a loop of fencing wire :eek: Needless to say I was well and truely coat-hangered and found myself severely bruised and beaten :( Luckily, the bike was OK! :D

14. completely agree with that. Every single crash is and has been a goode experience for me. Had been riding since 15 on road. Starting first time on a RX 125 through to a CB 900f. Doing all monkey tricks like swaping seats with pillion, jumping off street racin to everything.

One should get to be a better judge of urself, knowing ur own weaknesses and positives rather than it determined by others or by the number of stacks. (Well always listen and get the opinion of a fellow rider whos right behind ur tail, its worth it and one improves their skill riding in groups or pairs)

Its never a thumb rule that a person who stacks or has never stacked is a worse or better riders, what counts is how agressive/ defensive or the type of rider u r.

The bes thing is to know ur bike the best and getting used to her, the more u ride the more u get to know her. Taking things slow and just riding very- very slow and crawling around would make a person more used to the bikes weight and centre of gravity, and secondly comes by is learning on high speed breaking. Cos guys anyone can accelerate hard, the test is how well u control a beast.

So really cant be F@#$! if I crash, the only qustion is why and If i could reason/ answer myself.

One suggestion to all newbies, everyone is a learner. But in case if anyone of u feel that u r abt to stack or slide away forget ur bike no point holding on to it, just bail out. Machines can be repaired not us.

Enjoy ur Ride days......

15. Uhh,i disagree man,quite strongly actually.If you've already lost it,by all means eject. :D BUT if you go into a corner hot and you dont think you're gonna make it,bailing out isnt the answer! :shock: You should just crank that bugger over and try for all its worth,just because you 'think' you wont make it,doesnt mean you wont!Ive gone into a few corners thinkin' "shit,its all over now" but i didnt bloody eject! I just hooked the bastard over as hard as i could and well,what do you know,i made it! HART will tell you that too man.

16. One of the questions I'd like to ask as a newbie (had my L's for a month).
    I analyse my rides and am usually able to identify where I stuffed up, but usually have trouble identifying why I stuffed up and how to correct.
    The other day I ran wide on a corner but am pretty sure I didn't go in too fast. (Probably too fast in the fact that I ran it wide but I think its more to do with the fact that I didn't lean the bike over enough). How do you lean the bike over enough to corner. I know the theory but just can't seem to bring it off on the road, any suggestions?

17. Mate u r right and so am I. Well by all means eject, not when u r in a corner or when u think u r abt loosing it.
    Sorry if there was a mis communic, well what i meant is not to slide along with ur bike allway into the fense, if u have lost it dont drag along with the bike.

18. LOL! :LOL: Cool man,sorry about that! In that case we are very much in agreement then! :LOL: :LOL:

Edit: Bad Grammar :oops:

19. Hey nodz, the thing abt corners and leaning over comes up naturally. Its good if u practice not to force things which might not come in to u naturally at this stage. In fact u would feel much better around the corners if ur throttle is consistant(with no sudden rev ups or downs and avoiding split second hesitations) one usually gets comfortable with corners. Importantly check ur tyres too.
    The leaning factor will gradually develop into a natural tendency once u grow more comfortable in every other aspects.