Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How often do you pre-flight?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by PhilC, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Every time I ride / Every time I fill my tank

21 vote(s)
  2. Every 500k's / Every time I oil my chain

28 vote(s)
  3. If I think about it, probably not more than every 2000k's

11 vote(s)
  4. Pre-flight? Huh? Do you ride a lemon, I just expect it to be fine.

14 vote(s)
  1. Every time a pilot takes a plane up, it gets a pre-flight inspection. With a small plane which lacks redundancy for many systems this is typically a walk around where everything is visually inspected, every crucial joint and moving part is wiggled and checked for play, signs of wear are checked for, etc. You start at the same point every time, it's routine and it's second nature.

In a nutshell, as pilot, it's up to you to make sure the aircraft is ready to fly.

I wonder how many of us just jump on our bikes and go, secure in the knowledge that any potential problem will be picked up at the next service, some 6000k's in the future, or that we'll notice whilst riding and stop safely...
  2. Daily - my life is worth too much to me not to do it. Indicators work, horn works, neutral light works (DR specific), tyre pressures are good (I check these weekly), there's nothing that'll cause a flat, both brakes activate the brake light, brakes have good feel, steering is good.
  3. After every crash.
    • Like Like x 14
  4. lol...

prob once a week I do some simple checks and looks... more from the habbit of nearly always having classic cars and doing the same with them a lot. Just feels like a sensible thing to do really
  5. Found the ABS still worked on the beemer after it crashed out last Nov lol
    but weekly checks
  6. I do a 'pre-flight', as you put it, when I oil the chain - which is every 600 to 900kms.

However, I do a visual check of the bike daily.
  7. weekly,

unless i notice something while riding, i pull over straight away and do a quick check.
  8. Once a week. Give it a quick check over on Saturday while I'm washing it.

Would love to say every tank, but no way am I doing it that often (about 3 times a week if I don't go anywhere on the weekend). Had it for about 2000km, had to fill it up 21 times already.
  9. Lights are checked every time while I'm waiting for the engine to warm up.

I check the tyre pressures weekly although I eyeball them every time (during warm up again).

Same with the car, check tyres weekly, eyeball each time I get in (this is usually how I discover my partner has kerbed the alloys *again* before they have plausible deniability).
  10. Everytime before I go for a ride. Normally check the bike over the night before so I don't have to rush around the next morning. Most of the rides I do are not spur of the moment, but if they are it still gets a quick check.

11. Oil cap is there.....

In reality I don't do it as much as I think I do, it's more of a cursory glance as I'm too keen to mount up and be gone!

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
  12. Yeah, oil cap is there is a good one but my bike is parked in a locked garage so not so important to check.

Just to make a point, it was there in the morning when I did my check, it was most probably gone when I left work (did not do a pre-ride check then).
  13. I keep an eye out everytime I jump on my bike and pay attention while riding but in all honesty, a real check, every 2000k's, and even then it's not really a real check.
  14. Tyres and lights (headlight, tail light, indicators) every ride.

Once a week she gets the full going over after her bath.
  15. I make sure the fuel tap is on.

Check done.
  16. If it starts, runs, stops at the T-junction outside my driveway and doesn't wobble at the roundabout just down the road, it's good enough to thrash :D.

Don't care much about lights 'cos, unless it's dark, I never rely on any of them being seen.
  17. When I remember im supposed to... tyres get checked every tank or two.
  18. Check tyres every 2nd tank and sometimes once a week. I usually check the chain once a week...do about 550km a week so I think that's necessary. Clean and lube if necessary.

Electrical stuff, I usually don't check...so maybe when I am giving it a service will it ever be really noticed.

As mentioned above, if it starts, stops, turns without issues...it's good to go.
  19. Tyres are something I check daily, infact just about everytime I get on the bike I check the tyre condition first. They are the only thing between you and the road and it doesn't take much to damage them.
  20. once a week then, mate. <giggle>
    • Like Like x 1