Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How often do you help a biker in need?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Zealt, Mar 23, 2010.

1. The other night i stopped and helped a broken down CBR 2fiddy, bump start his bike and ride with him home (no lights at night) so he didn't get cleaned up.

I've seen a few others stopped on the side of the road from time to time, obviously with issues, but don't always have time to stop.

How often do you stop and offer a hand?

Even if your not mechanical you can help push, help with communication, grab some fuel or share some of yours (offer a tissue maybe).

So common? Who's a helper who's not?

Add stories if they are interesting.
  2. Usually slow down or stop. But most times get waved on, the old thumbs up from the stopped bike is enough to keep moving.
  3. how would u share your own fuel? Do u carry a small hose with you?
  4. A lot of people carry those water containers on their backs, a hose off one of those will get them out of trouble, A container can be found among the riders or along side of the road, Milk carton, coke bottle, Etc,
    Take a fuel line off a bike for syphoning, Lean the bike over on its side to get fuel out of a tank, Depending on the level of fuel, Ride into the nearest town an buy some,and return,
    You dont need much to enable a bike to ride slowly too the nearest servo,
  5. I'm always there for a fellow rider.
    Once helped a newbie CBR250 rider get his freshly-purchased bike running again, after giving him a quick road-side demonstration on how to turn his fuel lines to reserve. Sometimes getting a bike going again is that easy, so it's no hassle to pull over for a few minutes...

Was a little disappointed by how many riders zoomed past me once when I ran out of petrol on the Putty. Luckily, an old boy (for the sake of the story, we'll call him Jesus) in a mean old black Lotus pulled over and bailed my ass out with a spare jerry-can. Jesus saves, yo.
  6. Unless the rider waved you past, as noted above, why WOULDN'T you stop?
  7. Try and always stop to lend a hand. Both worth mentioning happend on Enmore Rd Sydney.

First one was an accident that would have occured only about 50m in front of me. By the time I had pulled over a group of pedestrians were already looking after the rider, by the time I actually got to the bike two other riders had stopped in the middle of the road and we all managed to push the fallen bike out of harms way despite the rear wheel being unable to turn. Although I felt for the guy it was comforting to know there are still plenty of people around to help out - even non riders will lend a hand.

Second was a young lady on street trip r with only few k's on the clock, did a right hander and went down real quick - may have been the new tyres perhaps. I think she was shaken more by the fact she couldn't pick up the bike (and minor damage) rather than the fall.
  8. More than not stop and help broken down cars in need. Haven't had a chance to help a rider in need yet.

Whenever I have broken down someone has come to my aid 95% of the time.
  9. We've stopped a few times but always have been waved on. At least they knew we were available for help, thats one thing I like about the biking community, we seem to look out for each other.
  10. I mostly stop. Feel a bit guilty if I'm in the right lane and can't stop.

Last time I stopped to get a Hardley going. To be fair it was an old shovel.
  11. I always stop, unless I am waved on. You never know when your particular expertise may be needed.
  12. Since I believe in Karma when it comes to these sorts of things, I always stop unless signaled otherwise. Something my dad and brother instilled in me from riding dirt bikes in the bush as a kid.
  13. I was broken down once in a rural area. Clearly I'm working on the bike. A bloke on a horse rides up on the property side of the fence. He starts to say something which I assume will be an offer of help but instead "Can you not start that for a minute as it might scare the horse?". He then rides off.
  14. I normally stop, about the only time I don't is if I'm going somewhere that's time critical and can't wait.

It isn't as essential as it once was to stop; these days we all have mobile phones and roadside care is available for motorbikes as well as cars.

I'd say of the last 5 times I've pulled over I've been waved on.
  15. Years ago I suffered a flat tyre when heading to work at some ungodly hour, that experience is a story unto itself, and had just commenced my relatively long clump (riding a road trail, wearing A* Tech 8s) when a rider did a u-turn on the nearby round about. He pulled up, asked me where I was heading and after a quick squiz at the watch and a mental calculation told me to get on and, besides the fact that this was the experience that told me I wanted a big bore mile muncher, I will be eternally grateful to him for that gesture.

Checking Google maps I realise now more than ever the significance of his actions. Maybe that generous rider is a Netrider member and has a fuzzy recall of it or maybe not. Regardless I still say, Thank you.
  16. What others have said, if I see them in time I beep and get their attention on my approach and give them the thumbs up and down and usually get a wave through.

Sometimes due to dense traffic I only see them at the last minute while in the far right lane and can't get over and stop in time.

Only one case was sour, stopped to help a dude on a new '09 red Daytona, had electrical issues (surprise surprise, factory alarm fitted by Peter Stevens melb had a loose connector, tighten up all good). The entire time I didn't receive a thanks or any friendly chat. Noticed their chicken strips on both bikes (the other one had mileage on it) then decided fuk'em and took off.
  17. Now thats a very rare occurance, Most are very appreciative of the fact you have stopped, Very friendly chit chat and thank you's for your Help.
    Over the years, I have been helped, and I return the favour by stopping,
  18. If somebody was hostile like that towards me when I was helping them I would stop 1/2 way whatever I'm doing and ride/drive off.
  19. Always slow down at least.

Never had to help so far

But when I lowsided on a roundabout a few years back, I wheeled the bike off and was on the phone to my mum when a guy pulled up behind me to see if I was ok.

He went over the bike and saw the rear brake lever was all bent up, he bent it back into place for me and helped me start the bike up

Said he was a rider.

So now I consider it my duty to offer help in anyway I can if ever needed
  20. Lately about once a month. You can usually tell if someone is in need of help or not. I feel bad if I can't get across to stop, sometimes u dont notice them till its too late. I do it because I'd like to think that one day the favour will be returned when I need it.