Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How often do BMWs do this..??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by JohnG., Nov 17, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  2. Actually, if you read the biggest US BMW forum, quite frequently.........
    Fortunately for most BMW riders, they change their bikes over at the end of warranty, so these "failures that never happen" don't affect them financially.
    There was a recent BMW natrional rally in the US, I think from memory, of 80 or so bikes that travelled, 7 or 8 had drive failures........
    Now quick, let's sweep this under the carpet and no one will know!

Regards, Andrew.
  3. I would be dirty as hell if I bought a bike and had that sort of failure.

Wouldnt you think you would hear a noise, and stop riding it? I mean, there must be bearings in their that dont like not having oil around them.
  4. Funny thing is it seems to be only the newer BMs. Old boxers don't do this. By old I mean 20 years old.
  5. On a Guzzi you feel bad vibes through the RH peg...would've thought BMs were similiar...??
  6. It's something which seems to only happen on the latest paralever bikes. BMW in their wisdom decided that these were NOT to be a serviceable item - as in they were sealed for life. This is where the conjecture comes in. People like me own BMWs because they expect a life of well in excess of 100,000km. These new ones are failing in much less than half that (at times WAY less).

They fail when the original shimming from the setup at manufacture is incorrect. Normally it wouldn't be such a problem, but since it is not possible (read easy, have to do it through the breather I think :shock: ) to change the oil in them it turns to grinding paste and then you are stuffed.

It's not ever going to happen to me since I can't afford a $30,000 motorcycle, but I would be well p!ssed if it did.
  7. It was an issue with the earliest models of this type of bike with that paticular shaft/paralever setup. This led to a slowdown of supply as they addressed the problem.
    Most of the models that were shitting themselves were the k1200s and the r1200 gs.
    BMW have since addressed this issue and their current stock are as reliable as their older models. (serves them right for sourcing their bearings material to a brazilian company which provided substandard metal that was too soft)

EDIT: by the time the models came to Australia the issue was ironed out, unfortunately for the yanks they were not so lucky