Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How not to Put both feet down for a stop!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by catluva, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Can any one give me suggestions on how to get used to not putting my right foot down when I stop? I am used to riding a scooter and as soon as I go to stop the right foot comes down....really not a smart thing to do.

I understand with practice and a bit of time I will improve, but other than gaffa tape can any one give me an idea of how to stop the impulse to put that bloody right foot down when I go to stop?

2. Does it really matter? Assuming you are stationary.

3. IF you really want to ensure the left goes down. As you are almost stopped , turn the bars right a little , that will "tip" the bike left and your reaction will be to stop it with the left foot :wink:

4. Learn to habitually use your back brake at intersections and this won't be a problem.

5. I agree; The slower you're travelling, the more the rear brake usually gets used, as it's smoother and more stable. Keeps your right hand free to concentrate on the throttle only if you're on a hill, too.

6. Yes, use the rear brake, you should be!
    I guess that argument about scooters making people just as good at riding as bike riders is a bit of a myth eh? Wonder how many other bad habits they instill? Not having a shot at you Catluva, just a general comment.

Regards, Andrew.

7. I put my right foot down first when I come to a stop. :shock:

Dont see it as that bigger deal really. Its so I can always have my left foot ready to change into neutral and back into first if need be. Just habit I suppose.

I generally use the back brake to bring the bike to walking pace and then use the front to come to complete stop.

8. belair, so many bad habits I don't know where to even start...

9. Then you'd better start on just about every rider who has a dirt background. Nearly every one of them unless they're making a concious effort will come to a stop with the right foot down.

The only time I keep my right foot on the peg is when I'm pulling up next to a cop car in case they know what is the "correct" technique. I cant be bothered getting hassled to see whether I've got a licence etc.

10. I refer to the fact that he uses his rear brake as the primary one and his front at slow speeds.

11. Back brake only? If so, agreed, that's horrible.

12. I never expected anyone could help me with my bad habbits so thank you to all who replied
    Having the sccoter did instill some other bad habbits like hardly ever using the front brake on its own, because I was told that the rear brake is a combined system i never bothered to use the front brake unless i was really stopping hard. So now I'm having to learn not to stab the front brake.

The main reason for me to want to keep my right foot up is to make sure I use the back brake, I have never had to worry about where my feet were before, until now that is.
    I guess focussing on the stop start thing with lots of practise in the back braking area might help me a bit I have another lesson on Sunday so I'll see how I go with that. In between time I might have a go on my bike, its at a friends at the moment being used to commute.

I wish I had of trusted my instincts(learning the gears) when doing my learners, at least then I might have prevented my self from learning the bad scooter habbits I have.

Back then I thought there was a technique to riding a scooter really there is not much skill if any involved with riding a scooter. The other thing I have noticed is the scooter I had was heavy in cornering, with the VTR and the CB and the CBF they all are way easy to lean with, I recon it has alot to do with your position. When doing a head check on a scooter you have to lean forward and then tilt your head unlike on the bike when you are already in a position to just tilt you head and it doesn't change your balance as much as when on the scooter. Just comapring the scooter to a bike is a whole different thread!

I have been lucky to get cheap($40 (long story)) one on one lessons and have had excellent instructors to show me consistantly good safe technique.

13. I'm talking about at the very last instant before the bike topples over because its not going fast enough. Thats when I put my right foot down and then use the front brake to prevent the bike going any further.

Can somebody tell me the reasoning behind it being the "correct way" to always put the left foot down first? I must have been staring out the window during that part of the learners course.

14. I'm another "right foot down" rider. (I am also an ex-dirt rider)

In my mind, I'm ready to change gears and go with right foot down. I'm able to control the bike with the front brake (ie hillstarts), and in general, due to road camber, the road on the right is closer to me than the road on the left.

Can anyone give me a definitive reason why I should not have the right foot down?

15. + 1 for me too. (ex dirt) and can someone please explain the seemingly excessive use of rear braking in this thread? The fronts should be doing 90% of the work no matter what speed you brake from.
    Rears are handy for pulling the bike into a corner, roundabouts etc. Motards and dirt bikes excepted.

16. You should be in gear when stopped, so you can get out of there if there's trouble. You shouldn't be waiting to select a gear.
    You can also leave faster if you are holding with the rear brake,and can leave in a smoother, more controlled manner using rear brake to hold the bike. You should also be using rear brake when travelling slowly to control the speed of the bike, not the front brake, which is FAR more likely to slide out in poor conditions if the brake on that wheel is used heavily, and the front brake naturally wants to make teh bike unstable due to it affecting steering and fork compression. Front brake at slow speeds affects many things on the bike, rear does not. Rear brake has a stabilising effect on teh bike, dragging the bike into line.
    There WILL come a time when you can't put both feet down at once, and you'll need to move off up a steep hill. So now you've got to do something you don't normally do (use rear brake to hold bike whilst balancing with left foot), and that causes mistakes/drops. Holding with front brake on a steep hill is also not a terribly smooth manouvre, especially if on a bike with not much low end torque.
    Oddly enough, I can't remember the last time I needed to use the right foot to balance my 265kg bike when stopped at an intersection.

Regards, Andrew.

17. No the front should not. Rear brake is teh best brake to use at low speeds. You'll find out why one day.

Regards, Andrew.

18. you put your left foot down first, because you also mount a horse from the left.
    oh, and so you can anchor your bike with the back brake to have both hands free for hi-5's at the lights :grin:

another right-foot ex-dirt bloke

19. Actually, this thread has been useful. Now I know why so many people have low speed lowsides in traffic.............

Regards, Andrew.

20. yeah......nah :?

back brake is your friend ;)