Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How *not* to buy a 2nd hand bike.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by kinch, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Oh, since I just realised it might be relevant, this is in QLD (since other state's laws might be different).

So I bought a bike a little while ago, a rather nicer machine than the old 225. I love riding it, it's a dream with loads of power when I want it, and a nice smooth riding motion when I don't. I'm still learning to adjust to the more powerful engine and the gears and clutch are quite different from what I'm used to.

Today I took it in for a safety certificate. According to the law, a bike can't be sold unless a safety certificate is provided by the seller. I didn't know this when I bought the bike. Apparently it's "law" but the first I heard of it was when I was browsing the Dept of Transport's website on an unrelated issue. I realise that it's my fault for not knowing the laws, but the bike was already registered, which I assumed meant that a safety certificate was moot, even when selling. The bike failed because an aftermarket pipe was too loud, and I didn't get the stock pipe when buying.

Important lesson for newbies looking at a second hand bike: Get a safety certificate before you hand over the cash. I asked the bloke about it when I was buying it and he said "nah, doesn't need it, they only last for 30 days so I didn't get one in case it ran out before selling it".

Second important lesson for newbies looking at a second hand bike: Treat the seller as a salesman who's trying to screw you over. If they're not, then you're sitting pretty. If you prepare for it beforehand, you might just save yourself alot of stress and hassle when it comes to dealing with your new bike. Even if they're nice and upfront about any damage, and show you things on the bike that you might not think of to check (like under the back seat, minor scratches etc) they're still a salesman, and shouldn't be given trust just because they volunteer some minor defects of the bike.

I dunno if this is the right forum for this thread, but if not, please move it to the right spot.

Also, if anyone feels the need to post "haha you newbie you got suckered it's all your fault" please don't bother, I've already realised all that and have learnt my lesson.

2. You got kinda lucky there to be honest. A loud pipe is quite minor, at least you are alive!

Its not a cheap lesson, but its one you're alive to learn :p

3. Best advice in this related area, especially when buying a first bike (based on plenty of mates experiences) would be to not buy a bike with a pretty new paintjob. Buy a bike where you can see the damage. Avoiding situations like these as well.

If a bikes got a pretty paintjob, chances are it's hiding something.

Unlucky about the pipe though mate, at least it's a relatively cheap thing to fix with a short trip down to a wrecker.

4. kinch - You may be able to find a sympathetic tester that will pass the pipe if it's not to far over. They all know you'll swap it back ASAP.

5. Thanks all. Yeah, the pipe is a minor thing, I agree. It's just frustrating that I now have to muck about with all this instead of getting my certificate, getting the rego sorted, and having the fun on the bike that I want to have! :)

I have to admit tho, when he was doing the testing and revving the tits off it, I had a very smug grin on my face as it echoed through the whole shop, thinking "oh yeah... that's *my* bike" ;)

6. could have been worse... could of been alot worse...

Dude i work with bought himself a CBR250RR, paid cash, walked away from the sale... rode the bike around for around 3 - 4 months, got woken up one morning to a knock at the door, 2 badges saying that the bike was stolen