Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much would wet roads effect grip?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sweeris, May 30, 2007.

1. This might b a broad question for people to answer. Theres just lots of varibles. ie how deep the layer of water is, what tyre im using, how much tread I have left, oil slick.

Im kinda looking for a guide as in what to expect for the loss in grip. I have had quite a bit of slips and slides on wet roads. Also at times i feel like I have alot of grip. Im starting to wonder if there's any pattern to all this or what could have so much loss in grip.

I'll prob hav a look at what tyres and tread i have on as it might help to explain what im going through.

I know some people might say dont ride in the wet but for me its either ride in the rain or take public transport(with 2 hours difference between the two). I jus have to go to work and uni.
  2. One of the biggest issues in the wet is going to be tyre temp - cold tyres don't have as much grip and water does a good job of keeping the tyres cool. Warm tyres are also able to displace water better howver although it's possible to get a fair amount of grip in the wet it's always worth remembering that it only takes the tiniest amount of oil, or a painted white line, to lose it. So nothing wrong with riding in the rain - just make sure you're always riding well short of the tyres limits.
  3. Depending on:
    tread pattern, tyre temp, tread depth, tyre compound, Kg/cm2 of load, water depth, road grime factor, riding skill, road surface grip, testical shrinkage factor, etc, etc.

it afects grip somewhere between shitloads and fuking heaps
  4. Anywhere from "none" to "all". On a track running consistent lines you can learn how much grip you've got, on the road you've got no chance. With the right tyres you can clutch up a wheelie or do a stoppie half way through a shallow puddle if everything else is in your favour. Then other times you can go arse over tit in a straight line at constant throttle. Oil, paint, paint which has been painted over black... it's all there to get ya.
  5. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    such the poet Woodsy
  6. Being Melbourne, you forgot tram tracks, nearly came a cropper yesterday riding over tram tracks.

slippery ylittle suckers.
  7. ..and those black "wormy" repairs are fckin slippery too.. Nearly put the other half's bike down on Monash yesterday when I braked on one of those little fckers after a blonde female P plater decided she wanted to be in my lane. :evil:
  8. Brakes also dont work as well in the wet. Less tyre traction, friction between discs and pads is lesser in the wet
  9. At least your bum doesn't get as hot when your sliding along the road after an off when it's wet :wink:
  10. On the same road surface, you will have 80% of dry traction available typically.
    It's a good thing to practice to see how much power and braking you can actually put through your tyres in the wet, if you are smooooth, and load up the suspension nice and slowly whether braking or accelerating, you can get some extremely good grip going.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. When good conditions are lack you just have to be much smoother with everything - braking, steering, accel, etc.
  12. powering up to the lights in FTG road last night at 70kmh+. in the rain
    They changed unexpectedly. Yep - stopped in time, but you could feel the tyres sliding then grabbing. I can cope with the rear sliding, but the front makes it interesting!.

I suggest anyone commuting in the rain have a few practice stops to ensure they know what to expect!.
  13. Thats Gold

14. According to the RiderSafe manual, the following is an approximate table showing the grip a tyre has on the road surface (no referance for what study the data was based on).

Dry concrete - 90%
    Dry Bitumen - 85-90%
    Wet Bitumen - 65%
    Gravel - 60%
    Ice - 7%
  15. There interesting figures DuanneB

Like you said no reference data doesnt help. Maybe its figures for travelling in a straight line, and effective contact with the surface

I would like to see a road bike with normal tyres try to corner on ice :eek:
  16. WTF?

I would expect ice to be 0.1-1%, basically nothing.

The best thing you can do is avoid all painted surfaced, the school zone ones seem to be OK. Watch out for tram lines etc.

Ride with the least amount of lean.

From here, you will get an idea of what your tyres will do safely.

Every tyre is different, and acts differently depending on how much tread is left. The above will get you in the habit of feeling for grip. It constantly changes...

If your going to keep the bike for a while, invest in some good tyres!
  17. note-
    traction on all road surfaces is greatly reduced during the initial wetting of the road.
    this is caused by the water "floating" oil/fuels up from between the aggregates used in the road surface.
    after significant wetting, the oil/fuel is either worn away by traffic, or is drained from the road.
  18. Lines aren't painted ;)

They're a plastic melted on the road, hence why they're so slippery when wet.
  19. Hmmm, best tell that to teh linemarkers I see SPRAYING in their trucks...........

Regards, Andrew.
  20. whoooooaaaaaaa back there! :LOL:

lines are both painted AND made from thermoplastics.
    lines that are painted are often (but not always) covered with glass beads.
    the paint is applied to the road in a very similar way, to how we spray bitumen on the road. there is even a designed application rate of paint/square metre!!! :shock:

the thermoplastics are applied using a butane/lpg/NG torch. this method is mostly (but not always) used for delineation devices such as arrows, chevrons, giggle bars, traffic light linemarking and turning lanes. :)