Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how much 'unexpected' stuff can you plan for?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by simon varley, May 28, 2009.

1. okay, so I'm cruising along this morning in the right hand lane of a divided road, with moderate (for 8 am Geelong) traffic. There's traffic in the inside lane. Everyone's behaving nicely. Both lanes are travelling at the same (60kph) speed. I've buffered front and rear, and the nearest vehicle on the inside is a big truck full of scrap steel.

you can see where this is going now can't you?

I've positioned myself off the rear of the truck, maybe 20 feet behind it so I'm completely visible and protected if he changes lanes

suddenly a 3 foot length of scrap steel falls off the truck and lands 10 foot infront of me. no time to brake or swerve and this thing is headign right for me. Fortunately it bounces again and jumps 90 degrees out of my way onto the central reserve but I really thought I was for it.

Could I have done anything different? I spotted the load in the truck and there's no way it looked unsafe - he must have just hit a bump badly. To give the guy his due he knew immediately what had happened and pulled over. I really think this was just one of those unavoidable things - sometimes shit just happens, and today was one of those days.

Maybe I should simply have accelerated past the lorry and positioned myself in front, but this road is notorious for speed camera cars, and I made a contious decision not to do this - as I said the load looked perfectly safe.

So I don't think I did anyting wrong this morning - but my assessment of risks has just changed. I'm pretty sure I'll take the chance of a speeding ticket versus the risk of a lump of steel on the head....

thanks for listening. Maybe someone can learn something
  2. I would have done a barrelroll.
  3. Barrelrolls rule!!!
  4. im with sooty.

you can live paranoid, or you can keep riding.
    if you are confident the load looked safe - tied down, or if loose scrap, not above the lip of the truck tray/bin. obviously it was loose scrap, as it generally is. if you could see it, assuming it wasnt a gated truck but like a dump truck they use for transporting dirt/gravel etc, then i'd be keeping distance next time.

watch out for all loads - trucks, trade utes, joe bloggs with a trailer full of tip trash. keep an extra long distance, or pass as soon as possible. or if its tall enough, sit so far up their arse, anything that falls/bounces out will pass overhead and behind you no worries :p
  5. That's why I love the latest billboards - 'slowing down won't kill you' - right... Personally I would've put myself ahead of the truck or any truck/vehicle with a load that looks dodgy...
  6. I hate sitting behind any truck. Even if the loads secured, it's probably chickens, and your giong to cope a faceful of crap :p
  7. There really is little more you can do. Although if you think about it, your buffer saved you, good work :grin:

I've been in the car with my family when a ladder fell off the back of a tradie's van right in front of us... mum swerved and missed it.

I almost suffocated following a truck full of fertilizer down mono vale road... couldn't overtake because some old bat decided to block the overtaking lane.
  8. I concur. This would have been the best course of action.

Worst one for me was a quarry near my work. I was sitting behind an empty truck with my visor open, a good 25 meters between him and I, then a gust of went, a shitload of dust and gravel and shit came out of the trailer and I couldn't see for a couple of mins.
  9. thanks - you're all exactly right. I made the classic mistake in risk assessment of only looking at the likelihood of something happening (and I got that wrong too!). I ignored making an assessment of the severity.
  10. The other factor in all of this, as anyone who's been the victim of the 'unexpected' will tell you, is that by the time your mind has assimilated the scope and possible results of the event, it's already happened. Maybe Stoner and Rossi could 'take evasive action' or 'drop down a gear and accelerate', or the like, but for us mere mortals....

nibor said

you can live paranoid, or you can keep riding.

100% correct. Someone should make that his sig.

You ae ALWAYS upgrading your skills, and learning. But the unexpected, by definition, is just that.