Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much to get a wheel respoked

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by da_rooster1980, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Any one know how much it would cost to get a Suzuki drz250 rear wheel respoked?
    And what would cause them to brake, my mate has had five spokes brake in different parts of the wheel?

2. To get a wheel rebuilt is about $100. All new spokes would be near that again. Or you could just replace the broken ones.

Spokes usually brake due to poor maintenance. Keep the nipples greased and even and correct tension. It's probably not excessive power in this case :p but of course from time to time you'll break them riding in the bush.

3. I'd say there is a good chance it is bad maintenance, how tight should they be?

4. When you get a wheel back from being professionally rebuilt, give it a spin dragging a screwdriver over the spokes. That's how they should sound. A dull sound from a spoke is an undertensioned spoke. A very quick and easy check you should do before a ride, will lessen the chance of riding on loose spokes and breaking them. There are spoke torque wrenches, but I'd be skeptical about them being any good once the nipples are half corroded tight and gunked up.

Here's a quick blurb on the spokes though. http://www.vitalmx.com/community/MXtech,619/main