Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much should they charge me to change the o-ring on the intake manifold?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by havok9, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Bike's in the shop at the moment. They say the o-ring won't come until Friday or Monday. What is a reasonable cost for this?
    Surely a bit of rubber isn't that much, and it shouldn't be more than 2 hours labour absolute max.

2. Really depends on the bike
  3. The O ring is easy but the whatsit is a bastard on your imaginary model :)
  4. I think your model has the flux capacitor mounted on the intake as well, that will add some labour no doubt.
  5. It's a K7 GS500F
  6. K7? Wouldn't it still be covered by warranty? Even if it is just outside I'd be trying to get it done for free.
  7. Warranty expired beginning of May. Would you consider 5 months to be just outside? If so I'll give it a crack
  8. ""How long do consumers’ statutory rights apply?

Statutory rights are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item. This means a consumer may be entitled to a remedy under their statutory rights after any manufacturer’s voluntary or extended warranty has expired.
    For example, it is reasonable to expect that an expensive television should not develop a serious fault after 13 months of normal use. In this case, the consumer could argue the item was not of merchantable quality and ask for it to be repaired,
    even if the manufacturer’s voluntary warranty had expired.""

You'll have to do some homework.

I got the above from here> Warranties and refunds.

Check out the The ACCC site.
  9. Thanks very much for the help guys.

Mike - that site looks very useful and is now bookmarked. Cheers

HD - I'll definitely have a read up on it and will try to get some info about the expected lifespan etc.
  10. If the bike has been sold and serviced by the same dealer, you maybe lucky with warranty assistance but 5 months out at a different repairer i doubt it.

As most have said I wouldn't think more than 1-2hrs labour max + parts.
  11. Don't be scared to get your hands dirty. It is only an o-ring.
  12. +1
    Remove seat, tank, airbox, carbs, manifold. Change o-rings, reassemble.

I'd be asking why its failed when its so new. Were the manifold bolts not tight from the factory, and not checked at the first service?