Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much room to leave when turning?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Righty, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Yesterday on my way home I was had just gotten off the story bridge (Brisbane) and was heading along to Kangaroo point (that road where you have those awesome views of the city, for those who may know where I am talking about) and I found myself in the centre lane wanting to turn right. That's fine it's all legal, there are 2 turning lanes and one straight through lane to the far left. The problem with the centre lane is that you can either turn right (need to wait for green arrow) or you can go straight. In the far right lane, you can only turn right.

Thinking nothing of it I just went up the centre lane to turn right as I usually do, but I was over to the right side of the centre lane a little more than I probably would have liked to, which meant there was a decent sized gap to the left of me that meant cars could go past in theory.

HOLY CRAP!!! Big mistake, I could not believe how close the firggin cars were getting to me. I swear to god I had GIANT land cruiser, shiny bullbar POS's drivers missing me by less than 50 centimetres. If you have seen my introduction in the new member section, you will know that my first bike was written off due to a knob running up the back of me.

In the end I was so terrified of getting slammed again that I moved over infront of the right lane to avoid me getting hit. The guy in the car there beeped his horn at me, which I wasnt impressed with but choose to ignore it as I wasnt staying in that other lane.

I guess in a long winded way, what I am asking is, should I just aviod using lanes like that to turn? Should I be further across in the lane so that there isnt room for tools to try and get around me and in the process they stop?

Anyone else deal with this? It's really not the first time it has happened to me, I was just really angry about how close these cars were getting.

2. Well i have very little experience so i am not really one to give advice, however i know if i go onto a road and i am in the left wheel track, every knob will want to go around me, so to combat that i move into the right wheel track, they never want to go bush to undertake you, but they will to their best to squeeze around on the right to get past.

If it were me, at those intersections i would either be in the centre, or if you want to avoid the oil slick (especially in the rain) then in the left wheel track.

And if you get honked or sworn at there are courses of action to take (that ive seen on these forums) and they all begin with "Neutral, Sidestand down...."
  3. Yeah I know where you mean. Even in a car I am hesitant to stop in that lane from fear of being hit from behind. It's a terrible design and very dangerous, so I avoid that lane. In this situation trying to hold your lane is suicide and you did the right thing by moving over. Also if you turn right from that left lane you usually have to merge as soon as you get around the corner due to park cars which also encourages me to turn from the right lane.

The car beeping you for moving over is an outrage. Someone did that to me I would have used some serious sign language. :grin:
  4. If you leave a gap no matter how small a cage driver will usually try to fit through it...if you have to postion your bike so there is no chance they can squeeze through the gap...I usually find this happens at right hand turn at the lights
  5. I was tempted, but yes, being in that lane is annoying anyway due to the cars around the corner. But that's never really an issue on the bike. TBH, I can think of sooooo many places on brisbane roads that were clearly designed by retards and now the government/council is having to fork out big bucks to undo all the mistakes.

How's about the bit of road at the start of the inner city bypass near Suncorp stadium. You know as you head up the hill and there are 3 different exits but only one lane to get onto them....? Pure friggin genious that is!!
  6. normally i hate that bit even in my car - today i did it for the first time on my bike - *whew* was i pleased once that bit was over......

as for the turning bit - i am also, as newb rider, looking forward to hearing people's comments....
  7. slightly different situation: I have a light that never detects the bike after a certain time at night. So I would have to wait for another car to come up behind me in order to get the green arrow. There aren't always many cars at 1am in the morning.

Instead of waiting for a right turn I just go straight through the green and practice my U-turn at the next cut out, no need to wait for lights in the left turn.

Actually staying in the furthest right lane helps practice tighter cornering too... and there's less chance of lazy cagers taking all the lanes to make their right hand turns - merging into you.
  8. double post. my bad.
  9. In my first few rides to work I learnt quickly on a left hand turn into a busy road, that if I sit to the left, cagers will take up the space and start aiming for the same break in traffic as me.

The first one that did it was completely oblivious to my presence, so I just thought it was going to be one of those things I encountered from time to time.

Second day it happened again, but this buzzard was driving with intent.

Lesson learnt. You pay your taxes, take up your space.
  10. When i did my learners course at HART the phrase that was used was 'Taking ownership/command' of your lane. I have done a bit of riding since then but it is still a conscious decision every time i come into a turn or lane position. You have to make a value judgement every time. If you are to far left you may actually get fools trying to go straight thru on the right of you.
  11. When i did my learners course at HART the phrase that was used was 'Taking ownership/command' of your lane. I have done a bit of riding since then but it is still a conscious decision every time i come into a turn or lane position. You have to make a value judgement every time. If you are to far left you may actually get fools trying to go straight thru on the right of you.
  12. That's the mindset you have to have!
    But in your helmet it will sound like "Well this guy can go and get fu..." etc.

In the OP right hand turn situation, I always turn in, in front of the lead car in the right-hand lane.
    It's not worth getting cleaned up from behind... technically, it's probably not even splitting if you would otherwise have pole position in the left righ-hand-turn lane[?] (gegvasco, gegvasco wherefore art though gegvasco? :) )

That said - if you have to stop the bike anywhere on a road, while you wait to turn you should be positioned so a car can NOT fit past on either side, with your indicator on, and either your right hand/foot flashing your brake-lights intermittently to make SURE people see you.

13. There's eventually four lanes (the left most to the head towards The Gap via Musgrave Rd, the middle one to the northern suburbs via Kelvin Grove Rd and the two right ones to the IC8), three exits and a fairly long merge distance (as long as everyone isn't being a prick and not letting you change lanes). Why is that so difficult?

Before you go blaming those who had to come up with a solution (I am not one of them), think about why there isn't much room. Politicians and accountants who looked to make a names for themselves gave in to a short term gain to sell off the road reserve so that there is no room for expansion in the future. I remember plenty of furore over house resumptions on Hale St when the ICB was coming up. The preferred (and best) design could not be constructed.

There's another side to that story.