Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much is too much?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Makybe05, Nov 11, 2007.

1. I'm looking at buying a 250 across but its got 87,000 kms on the clock and its a '93 model. How much is too much? Its in pretty good cosmetic condition, looks clean and well loved. Just wondering if someone could help me out...

2. Has it been routinely and professionally (preferably) serviced, and can this be verified?

Has it obviously been thrown up the road, more than once?

Is the paint scheme and decals, etc, original?

Lots of Across and ex-Across owners here who would know the quirks to look for better than I.
  3. What hornet600 said +
    everything has a price, so does the 30k on the clock, comparing with 87Mm :LOL:
    Red Book will give you a price
    then Google will have some info of Km/Price from other sales..
  4. at $1800?
  5. Well, red book has it $2,500 - $3,000.
    But if you need new tyres, sprockets+chain, maybe brakes etc etc etc
    the 1800 will become 2500-2800
    then again, if it rides ok, if you like it and if the rego lasts for 6 months, why not, can't get anything else bellow 2k :wink:

Of course you have aside at least 1000$, for helmet,boots,pants,jacket, gloves.. right?
    Have you checked how much to insure it? could be another 1000$..
  6. Yep of course i have $800 set aside and i know what im going to get, so im all sorted on that front. Yeah and i'd have money set aside if it needed anything done to it.
  7. With those kms.. does it have service history? If not you want to be very careful. If he's got a record of servicing it regularly (oil every 4000) and all of the recommended services, theres a good chance it could be fine if you don't intend on riding it too much. But I wouldn't pay anymore than 1500, and thats assuming it has current consumables for everything (eg. recent engine oil change, good tyres, chain and sprockets, etc. ). If it didn't have good consumables thats a good indicator that it hasn't been looked after well and its a land mine waiting to go off.

Even if it was serviced well, unless there has been a new engine thrown at it, its in the zone where it 'could' blow at any time. If you're keen on it take it to a bike mechanic, get them to spent a good 20 or 30 minutes inspecting it and give you the feedback - you can use the ammunition to get the price down if its not too bad, and gives you the info you need to walk away if its dodgy.

Good luck.
  8. if it needs absolutely nothing spent on it , tyres, chain, sprockets, brakes
  9. When u say 'take it to a bike mechanic, get them to spent a good 20 or 30 minutes inspecting it and give you the feedback'. Iv been wondering, how mcuh do u typically pay for a rough pre-purchase inspection.

Do u mean pay for a pre-purchase inspection (which costs roughly ~$200).

Also how can u tell if he services the oil himself every 4000km.. He woudlnt exactly have proof....?

Thanks, and sorry if these sound like 'newbie' questions, but im still gathering info before i purhcase :eek:
  10. Yeah, ive just been talking with mum. I don't think i'll get it, seems like too much of a risk. Once again i'll have to wait to something better comes along. I wish something perfect would hurry up and come along!!
  11. No worries. I inspected and bought a bike yesterday. After myself and dad had a thorough look at the bike (we made a checklist of the basic stuff to check) like
    - Signs of drop/crash - scratches on handlebar tips, levers, engine casing, bottom of forks, etc.
    - Rust
    - Tyres
    - Chains
    - Sprockets
    - Services taken care of
    - etc. etc. etc.

Theres an article on netrider (see articles section) that goes into what to look for when buying used.

I then rode to the nearest bike mechanic (you generally don't want to go to where they get their bike serviced as they'll possibly be acting in the owners favour, not yours). Tell them you're thinking of buying it, can you have a thorough inspection and possibly short test ride for me?

Labour is typically close to 90/100 an hour, so if they spent 30 minutes inspecting it with you, $50 is about right.

Mind you, Hal inspected by bike pretty reasonably considering he was the owner of his shop and he had customers waiting, probably spent 15 minutes talking to us about it and having a look and feel. He greenlighted it and thanked him and we were off, he didn't ask for anything for it - nice guy.

But if they're too brief, tell them you want them to be more thorough and tell them you'll pay them for their efforts.

You can't really tell if they've done oil every 4000kms or not, but you can get an idea of if they service the bike properly. Good questions to ask to suss out if they take maintenance properly are:
    - Have you had to use the bike's toolkit much?
    - Is the oil hard to change on this? How do you do it?
    - Above, but for aircleaner, etc etc.
    - What petrol do you use
    - What type of oil they use
    - What tyre pressures they run
    - etc.
  12. I'm an Across owner who will be upgrading shortly.
    To give you an idea I have a '91 with 35,600 kms on her & she is in good condition & looked after.

I haven't posted her for sale yet but if you are genuinely interested in an Across & would like more details send me a pm & I'll answer any questions you have.

Good luck on your quest anyway these are an awesome bike.