Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by BlueRex, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Hi

I recently grabbed a 79 Suzuki GSX 750(see attached)

Now i had no problems spending 2k to get it on the road but since the mechanic has taken a look at it it is looking closer to 3k including labour.

The bike itself cost me 1k so that makes 4k without even registration.

I like the older style bikes but i am not really sure if i should just cut my losses and get rid of it.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Re: how much is to much?

yeh i would've cut my losses earlier than this. Unless you're handy with a wrench, you're going well into the red.

I reckon get a hold of the parts that you need, the service manual and go gung ho in the garage, whatever you can't figure out just give to the mechanic to do and sit there watching what he does to know how to do something in future. Or you can use youtube to help you learn weird and wonderful ways to fix and change things on a motorcycle. :D

3. Re: how much is to much?

+1
    If you want to buy a project and get it on the road at a reasonable price, you need to do the work yourself. If you don't know how, you have to learn!

The money you've spent already is not recoverable. You've already spent more than its worth. You need to write that off, then assess how much more needs to be spent to get it on the road, and decide if its worth it to you.

4. Re: how much is to much?

Absolutely. labour is $65-100 an hour and there are hundreds of hours in fixing up an old bike properly. And that is without even considering parts.

The good news is these bikes are pretty simple and so long as you don't need to crack the cases anyone that can use a spanner can learn to fix and maintain them. There is also fun to be had there too. bEtter than collecting footy cards.

5. Re: how much is to much?

If you do the job properly and make the bike nice to ride, it'll be worth it. Consider that if it costs you $5k all up, the most you can possibly lose on it is $5k, but more likely a couple of $k when you sell it in a few years time.

Now, think about what you lose over a few years on a new or near new bike. You'd lose that after the first year, probably more.

PS: I have a '81 GSX750 that I've had since '82 and one day i'll hopefully restore it to it's former glory.

GSX1.

6. Re: how much is to much?

Thanks for the replys.

Flinders i kind of go along with your thinking. I have since spoken to the mechanic and asked him to get it simply road worthy so i can work on the other bits and pieces at a later date.

Cheers

7. Re: how much is to much?

Having owned many things from the early 80's, I can tell you that buying such old bikes with the intention of saving money is almost always a false economy.

I detest 90's sportsbikes, would much rather be on a GS550, but I'm riding an FZR600 simply because I know it will be cheaper to own than anything older.

Even if you work on it yourself, you'll likely experience many more headaches with stripped and rusted threads.

Old bikes should only be taken on as a matter of love, when you can afford not to care about the expense.

8. Re: how much is to much?

If you're worried about finances, cut your losses and sell it. Its a thirty year old bike.
    At 4k + rego, its simply far too expensive. For about that, you could get a 10-12 year old 600cc sports bike, e.g. CBR600 or similar.

9. Re: how much is to much?

I think now would be the worst time to sell it.

Sure, you've spent a fair bit on it, more than you will recover if you sell it, but that is exactly why you should keep going.

If you sell it and get another older bike, you will need to invest a whole lot of money (or a whole lot of time and some money) all over again.

After $3k, I would assume you have covered a lot of the common things that wear out (what has been done, if you don't mind me asking?), so you will have a nice bike that shouldn't need much attention over and above normal servicing in the foreseeable future.

I think you are now on the right track - get the bare minimum done by the mechanic, and learn how to do the rest yourself. Get yourself the workshop manual for your bike and get to it!

10. Re: how much is to much?

Basically it was general wear and tear. To get it road worthy he has done the following

New blinker covers as they are faded
    New Brake pads
    Brakes cleaned and pistons cleaned as they were not working
    New Tyres(the old ones were virtually new 2 years ago but as they were sitting in the shed half flat the walls are screwed)
    One new mirror
    New Battery
    New Brake resoviour.
    New rear disk.
    Now he is trying to troubleshoot the electrics as the battery is not charging.

Most if not all parts he has sourced from wreckers to try and keep the price down.

I can not recommend this guy enough. He is oldish and works out of his own place in South Melbourne.

11. If you're going to run a 30 year old bike, you need to be able to do pretty much all the work on it yourself, up to and including major mechanical rebuilds (or at least engine swaps) when they become necessary.

If you're going to run a 30 year old Suzuki, you need to be able to troubleshoot your own electrics (it'll be the reg/rec BTW, and if you're lucky it won't have taken out the alternator yet).

As Suzuki will not be in the slightest bit interested in supplying parts for a bike of this vintage, you also need to become familiar with every possible source of aftermarket and secondhand spares you can find, and that will prbablymean extending your search overseas. M&P and their ilk in the UK still list a lot of bits for bikes this age.

Sorry, but any other approach will lead to tears and bankruptcy.

On the upside, old style air-cooled fours are relatively simple to work on and fairly tolerant of bodgery and make-do fixes. When I was wallowing around at the bottom of biking's food chain in the UK, middleweight air-cooled fours were the staple diet for those who wanted a bit of muscle with el-cheapo running costs, and Suzuki's offerings were the pick of the bunch if you could live with the toytown electrics.

You've got a good bike there. You just need to educate yourself and gear up a bit.

12. Just an update.

I found an awesome Guy in South Melbourne, Johnson Cycle Tune.
    He helped me get the old GS back on the road and registered.

Now i can work on the other bits and pieces over time.
    I can not recommend this guy enough, he was great and sourced all the second hand bits that were needed.

All up it has cost me $5,000 to get it fixed up for the road worthy and registered.

Attached Files:

13. Looks good. Are you glad you did it?

14. I am, it is great to ride and exactly the style and era i was after.

15. Glad to hear shes on the road mate, and you might want to check out this site for some more info on the GS series. Meantime, they were renound in the day to be bikes that would go around the clock without many hassles except the aforementioned electronic woes. You'll be looking good for a while yet!

Cheers - boingk

16. Thanks for the link boingk. So far been lucky with the electronics, hopefully it will stay that way for a while longer :)