Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much is low/high Km's on a bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by EzyRider, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I've put a deposite on a 97 model Honda Hornet 250 which has 32,000km on it. Is this too high km's or is it reasonable for this year and model bike? The bike looks like it's in good nik. Thanx
  2. I'm assuming the bike was new when first registered. It's a whole other story if it's a grey import.

But say it's been on the road for 8 years, so that's 4000kms per year and therefore low kms.

8000kms/yr is typical use.

It's a bit hard to judge bike kms - but a 250 engine revs about 2 - 3 times higher than a typical car engine for the same speed. You could argue a 40,000km bike is on par with a 100,000km car from wear and tear point of view... you could also argue this is bunkum. It's a guide.

Hornets are fairly solid though. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. If it's been well serviced and you take care of the bike too, it should treat you well.

3. Interesting comments.

When I was selling a ZZR1100, it had 96,000 km on the clock and it was 10 years old at the time. It was mechanically sound. Yet, I got one call from a fellow who mis-read the ad. Thought that 96,000km was too much for the bike. Another chap came around to look at it. For some reason he thought that it was a 94 model. When he found that it was a 1990 model he lost interest.

In both cases I said that the bike's price reflected its age and mileage. I had around $4,000 on it. I said to the second chap that if it were a 94 model then I would've been asking considerably more for it. The other chap obviously wanted a bike with bugger all kays on it for next to nothing.

When Guy Allen, ex-AMCN ed was selling a Blackbird, which had under 20,000 km on it, he was amazed at all the tyre kickers who thought that it had too many kays on it. Mind you, this is a bike that for normal touring, riding etc. is so understressed that 200,000 km would be of little consequence to it.

I rang him up as I thought it was the bargain of the decade. He had already sold it, but unfortunately, the person who bought it, binned it 2 weeks later. I lost out big time as I never found another B'Bird of that vintage for a similar price and with so few kays on it.

I ended up getting a 95 CBR1000F for 50,000 km on it for about $1,500 less...
  4. we recently sold a 1995 zzr 250 with 44,000kms on the clock. we had people calling us up offering between $1000 and $1500, saying it had "too many km's". My boyfriend said to them "mate, I ride it to work every day, not just on weekends. come & start the bike before you say it has too many km's".
  5. misuse / neglect any engine .... and it wont matter if its got 5000 k,s on it .. it wont b a pinch of *hit compaired to an engine thats been serviced regulary and been treated well thats done 50,000 ks ............... and ill tell you which one id pick
  6. IMO, for a well serviced, looked after 4-stroke bike, at 20,000kms the engine's just been properly run-in, and is in its prime.

By 80,000kms, things may start to go wrong, but it totally depends on the bike/engine in question.

Many of the guys in the Motorcycle Touring Club of Victoria rack up around 500-1000kms/week on their bikes, and they keep them for 4-5 years. Do the math. Usually by the time of sale, the main reason for upgrading is wanting something new/different.

No reason why any bike engine that is not inherently faulty shouldn't last at least 200,000kms if well looked after and serviced regularly.
  7. Yeah, people want the world. I'll bet those same folks would ask an arm and a leg if they were selling it, though....

It's like a post in another thread, about VTR1000F Hondas. Redwing Honda in Heidelburg has them on special, new for between $12,000-$13,000. Peter Stevens in the City (Elizabeth St) also had them for a similar price when I last looked.

When I scoured the online trading mags, I saw 03 models with asking prices of the same or more, and some models, 5 years old or so only a grand or two under what they can be gotten for new.

But I s'pose, in the end what DOES dictate a bike's worth is what the buyer is prepared to pay for it.
  8. Modern engines last longer than engines ever have, even high performance ones. If the Hornet 250 engine is red-lined at 13,000 and has spent most of its life between 6 - 9,000, it's hardly been over stressed. My wrench in Canberra says that the Hornet 600 engine 'might' need the valve shims looked at at 90,000kms, on the understanding that it hasn't been raced, and has been regularly serviced.
  9. I'd be happy with those k's on a bike of that age/
  10. The other thing to be very wary of, is the "too good to be true" mileage.

More than a few people disconnect the speedo, and instead use a separate bicycle speedometer to determine their speed (for reasons of avoiding speeding tickets). Of course, this also has the effect of stopping the odometer from clicking up the km's too. Said people then service the bike themselves or by their mates. When it comes sale time, they pull off the bicycle speedo, re-attach/connect the motorbike's speedo cable, and voila! An 80,000km bike with 8,000kms on the clock.

Buyer beware.
  11. It all depends on how the bike is ridden and treated
    If the owner never looked after it and pulled constant monos you could be looking at one rooted cluth, gearbox and engine.
    Then again I brought a 95 KawasakiX ZX9R with 28000 ks and its perfect
    If you are unsure take it to a good mechanic for a thorough test.

Plan B take a mate who has some knowledge of bikes & go for a ride on it Gun it hard in all of the gears to see if any gears pop out or wont go in properly.Look at the tyres to see what riding the bike did

There are always bike for sale on the market so if you miss this one others will come through
    If you buy from a licensed dealer you do have some rights if you buy privately then its buyer beware.
    Good luck
  12. i don't know as much about bikes as cars, but i'd imagine the point cats made would be the same. i have a car thats got nearly twice the k's most others around its age have. yet this one is on its original engine, no smoke, running stong and genrally better that most others i've seen. but the maintenece has been very consistent. if that bikes been looked after well, it could easily be better that one with a lot less k's.
  13. I didn't think the Hornet was locally delivered at any stage, so I guess it's a grey import? If that's the case, the kilometres on the clock are basically irrelevant (as it's very unlikely it's an accurate reading). Just look at the general condition of the bike... if it rides ok, doesn't have any visible rust, everything seems straight and proper... you're on a winner.
  14. Honda VTR 250

I'm looking at buying a 1999 Honda VTR250. It has around 35,000 k's on it, is this too high of k's? How much K's would this type of bike run before things go wrong?
  15. I can tell you know. I would prefer a NEWER bike with MORE kays on it then an OLDER bike with LESS kays on it. Although i am about to generalise you'll get my understanding.

My uncle purchased an 05 GPX250 from the dealer 6 months ago with only 5km on the odo. It is now about to click over on 27,000. That's right folks 27,000kms in 6 months. I know the bike has been looked after and ridden properly.

Now take my bike for example, a 1993 ZZR250. It has the same engine as my uncle and has just ticked over 30 000km. SO my bike is 12 years older then my uncles yet it has almost the same amount of kays. No i bought my bike as it rode well and the i knew the guy i bought it off had put alot of kays on it on freeways (not stressing the engine or constantly hitting the red-line).

Most of the wear brought to an engine happens in the first 5-10 minutes of use. Now i can tell you my bike would have spend more time in that 5-10 minute bracket then my uncles has, being stopped and started alot and used for a fang to the shops.

Ok now i'm not starting to make sense and what i'm typing is dribbling out now as i tired and have confused myself.

16. It all depends on how the bike has been treated/maintained.

When I was looking for a bike there was so many zzr and cbr that I saw that were trashed out and NEVER serviced.

I always recommend to people looking for a bike, especially a 250, try to get one from a friend that has looked after it and is selling to upgrade.
  17. 35,000 isnt all that much if the bike has been serviced...

Jap bikes will go around the clock before having any major troubles....
  18. Get your drift Josh.
    There used to be a car dealer in Wollongong who used to advertise "Canberra Cars". The reason they were popular was because they had less chance of rust, and also had not done a lot of stop-start driving like a local car, and had done long trips in the freeway between Canberra and other places.
  19. Thnx for sharing your thoughts people. It's reassuring to know that there's a wealth of accessible knowledge on this forum.
  20. I recently looked at a 1997 750 Shadow with 45000kms on the clock, which after searching around on the web, I thought is kinda high for this type of bike, (normally not ridden unless the sun is high and no clouds in the sky)
    Bike was as neat as a pin and after listening to the engine (not the exhaust) it sounded smooth and quiet. obviously very well looked after.
    so I brought it.

Depends who owns it previously, if they love riding, they'll clock up higher km's. If they don't ride it much and keep it in the shed for months, oil drains down, periodic starts = more engine wear.
    I'd probably be more concerned about a 1997 model with less than 10000k's on it. Either been ridden bugger all, or short trips to the corner deli, wouldn't do much for longevity of engine.